Please explain axle loadings...

chrisgilltreesurgery

:confused1:

I am buying a new van for work:

5.5 tonner

Maximum front axle load = 2450kg

Maximum rear axle load = 3700kg

Add these together = 6150kg :confused1:

Can someone please help by explaining how much weight I can carry on my new van if I don't have the vehicle weight

Cheers :blushing:

I have a suspicion that its to do with weight on the axle with a trailer, I reckon Treequip will have the definitive answer though.

this is more to do with weight distribution...... if you have loads of weight at the back or front of the vehicle you will be overweight on axle weight but not on gross vehicle weight... does that make sense??!!

Edited by robbo 110
grammar!!

You can carry 5.5tonne minus the vehicle's unladen weight (you'll have to get this from a weighbridge to get a definitive answer). Theoretically the combined maximum axle loads only need to add up to 5.5 tonne, but this would give no margin for error with loading. You can't legally run with any individual axle overloaded, and the combined axle loads can't total more than the gross vehicle weight. Bear in mind any nose weight imposed on the vehicle by a trailer - a badly loaded trailer can easily impose an additional few hundred kg onto a tow vehicle (almost entirely onto the possibly already overloaded rear axle).

:confused1:

I am buying a new van for work:

5.5 tonner

Maximum front axle load = 2450kg

Maximum rear axle load = 3700kg

Add these together = 6150kg :confused1:

Can someone please help by explaining how much weight I can carry on my new van if I don't have the vehicle weight

Cheers :blushing:

Looking at that out of context it makes little sense, where did you take those figures from?

Looking at that out of context it makes little sense, where did you take those figures from?

The figures came from the sales brochure :confused1:

The reason I am asking is I need to know the maximum payload so I can give the correct spec to the body builders for my new chip box. I dont want to have a chip box built so when im fully loaded I am only 4800kg and likewise I dont want to have an over sized chip box which will put my GVW to 6000kg.

I want to get it just rite especially for aerodynamics, dont really want 3 ft of chip box sticking over the top of the cab height when its not needed.

God my head hurts...

You're going to struggle to specify exactly what size chip box to fit. What's the base chassis cab? Unless it is ultra short I would expect any chip box built to the length of the body and the height of the cab to be overweight when filled to the brim, even with a 5.5 tonne gross weight. Lower than the cab looks odd and is harder to blow chip into. Axle loading becomes a headache when you have a single cab with a big heavy toolbox immediately behind the cab, or a double cab as both the aforementioned can lead to the front axle running close to its maximum weight limit. Big rear overhangs equally lead to rear axle overloading. If you've got a standard chassis truck I'd personally have the body built to square off and replicate the cab dimensions over the length of the bare chassis, but not hanging out miles behind the towbar.

My understanding is that you can have up to 2450kg on the front axle when fully loaded,

or up to 3700kg on the rear axle fully loaded (but not both at the same time or you exceed the 5500 total limit).

Regardless of total loaded weight you cannot exceed either axle limit, even if the total is well below 5500kg

So - you could have 2450kg on the front and 3050 on the rear (total 5500)

or 3700 on the rear and 1800 on the front.

or just about any combination in between where the total is under 5500kg.

As stated above if you want to have a bespoke set up you'd need to see what axle weights you have as a chassis cab and take it from there.

I hope I got my maths right

You could always have a sloping chip box with full lid so same hight as cab at front and higher at the back to make loading easier with the added benefit of being more airodinamic, guessing it must be an iveco or did you get a merc sprinter 4x4 thats been seen lurking around the norteast?