Interesting Biomechanics

David Humphries

Just in case there are some who have not seen information else where I am involved in a seminar next week that looks at some of the intersting biomechanics that have stimulated this thread.

Tree Physiology Seminar

20th October 2009

This one day seminar looks at tree physiology with an international perspective, from the bio-mechanical interactions of tree roots with decay fungi explored by Andrew Cowan, to the biology of decay in living trees researched by David Lonsdale, followed by the dynamics of reactive growth strategies observed by Cassian Humphreys in the unique tree populations of Australia.

Speakers

- Andrew Cowan

- David Lonsdale

- Cassian Humphreys

Benefits

This seminar will increase your understanding in tree physiology, further your appreciation for the benefits of fungi and wonder at the dynamic survival strategy of trees.

Itinerary

The day will start with coffee at 9:30 with a prompt 10am start. The format of the day will include a series of presentations and discussion. Lunch and afternoon coffee will be provided.

Thermal Imaging

Tree Assessment

(Day 1) Training

21st October 2009

This single day training can forms part of a three day training programme to put you on the way to obtaining a UK licence to offer a thermal tree assessment service in the UK.

However, even if you don’t want to complete the full training programme, many people attend this training day to provide an excellent introduction into the principles of thermography and its application into arboriculture.

Speakers

- Dr Marcus Bellett-Travers

- Andrew Cowan

Benefits

This seminar will provide you with a fundamental knowledge of Thermography and its application to trees as well as commencing the thermal imaging training programme.

Itinerary

The day will start with coffee at 9:30 with a prompt 10am start. The format of the day will be a morning session followed by lunch and afternoon session (with coffee).

Contact 0845 658 1400 or [email protected]

Here is one from today. An ash tree not much to see when i cut it but there is some interesting ring paterns where the branch joins at top and bottom:001_smile:

Pretty cool David.

Did the side branch exit further up than the picture shows or just terminate where it is?

I was looking at a beech tree the other day and considering the current liability associated with a twin stem with an included bark union.

Looking at old pruning wounds up the trunk it appeared that the tree had quite a few branches that would have been growing in the direction of the subordinate stem, that I was now looking at with thoughts of when it might fail.

Now this lead to me wondering again, if these branches had not been removed by an arborist, whether one of them might just have fused to the side stem and formed a bracing bridge between the two sides of the fork.

These thoughts then provoked further musings about our use of standardised work specifications like the one used for ‘cleaning out’ the canopy of trees, which stipulates the removal of crossing branches. It appears to me that trees have a clear ability to form natural grafts between branches and in doing so reinforce their crown framework.

Such natural grafting appears particularly prevalent on trees that we consider to be prone to branch or limb failure due to week forks or branch attachment. So it then has to be asked whether the structural weaknesses within these crown forms is a result of the trees tendency for weak attachment or whether a history of over diligent pruning by a short sighted human has compromised the trees ability to optimise its own structural form.

I was looking at a beech tree the other day and considering the current liability associated with a twin stem with an included bark union.

Looking at old pruning wounds up the trunk it appeared that the tree had quite a few branches that would have been growing in the direction of the subordinate stem, that I was now looking at with thoughts of when it might fail.

Now this lead to me wondering again, if these branches had not been removed by an arborist, whether one of them might just have fused to the side stem and formed a bracing bridge between the two sides of the fork.

These thoughts then provoked further musings about our use of standardised work specifications like the one used for ‘cleaning out’ the canopy of trees, which stipulates the removal of crossing branches. It appears to me that trees have a clear ability to form natural grafts between branches and in doing so reinforce their crown framework.

Such natural grafting appears particularly prevalent on trees that we consider to be prone to branch or limb failure due to week forks or branch attachment. So it then has to be asked whether the structural weaknesses within these crown forms is a result of the trees tendency for weak attachment or whether a history of over diligent pruning by a short sighted human has compromised the trees ability to optimise its own structural form.

As always, an interesting observation and perspective Andrew.

Good to see you down at Greenwich earlier, how weird is it to have a post replied to on a thread and talk about it before getting a chance to read it first :confused1:

Horses & Trees can inhabit the same space with a good bit of planning, eh? :thumbup1:

Good day had, see you soon

D