Interesting Biomechanics

David Humphries

Came across this during a scramble around this old Beech Pollard last week,

whilst I was measuring growth between terminal bud scars amongst other things :001_rolleyes:

Thought it was rather cool.

Instead of grafting, these two hollow stems have joined together via a branch 'plugging' itself into the cavity of it's neighbour, strengthening itself in the process.

Last shot is from inside the cavity.:001_cool:

DSC00244.JPG.d218069c08e71e9ea65c818bd7f39359.JPG

DSC00243.JPG.42f47fd62f38d8110fafbf6bc71a9162.JPG

DSC00242.JPG.44a96fac3a969bfa2485f8d9828a2fe5.JPG

DSC00235.JPG.3414317761e7eee3460cb4a01f08289f.JPG

Great pics of the beech pollard David, the growth you photographed displays fluid like properties....meristematic tissues are fascinating.

Why were you doing the measuring? For your own interest or something else?

I was over in the Basque region of Spain for a week, comparing Axe cuts and traditional chainsaw cuts on Lappsed Pollards that had been reduced to varying heights.

Will put a thread up about it in a week or so.

I was over in the Basque region of Spain for a week, comparing Axe cuts and traditional chainsaw cuts on Lappsed Pollards that had been reduced to varying heights.

Will put a thread up about it in a week or so.

If you find that we should be pollarding by axe, can I suggest you keep your findings too your self!!:sneaky2::sneaky2:

It's the cutting to the right phase ofthe Moon that I'd be more worried about Dave :sneaky2:

I believe that it has more influence than we (westerners) give it credit. If the moon has enough power to cause the seas of the world to rise and fall twice a day in tidal flow then surely it will also have an influence on every other fluid organism on earth.

I believe that it has more influence than we (westerners) give it credit. If the moon has enough power to cause the seas of the world to rise and fall twice a day in tidal flow then surely it will also have an influence on every other fluid organism on earth.

From a pre Basque visit sceptics point of view, I would now have to intruiguingly agree Andrew.

Would like to look a lot more into this, and find out if any Coppicers are aware/still continuing this process here in the Uk.