Rest in Peace Toby Arbdog

sixstrings

And so you should buddy.. I have no figures but I've noticed a lot of arbs (myself inc) have dogs. I think we connect with them and rely heavily on their unconditional love and loyalty. I can't begin to know what your feeling, what I can say is I'd be a broken man if I lost my Bodhi.. I don't drink but I'll raise a glass to Toby and all arb dogs out there :beer: Peace

Amen to that!!!!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So many touching messages, it means a lot.

Strange how I had no doubt that the members of this forum would respond this way.

It's a cruel world and I have toughened myself to lot of things that it can throw at us, just as i'm sure many of us have but it seems that even a tough lots such as us arbs are helpless when it comes to the unconditional love of a dog.

R.I.P. Toby dog. We feel for you.

Unfortunately for a dog to have an interesting life there is always a risk. :sad:

exactly right

A lovely looking dog, from a current doting owner of 4 No dogs.

However?

What were the circumstances of the accident?

A third party in a vehicle was, I can only presume, involved?

how did they fare?

what is their "take" on the situation?

Regards,

Marcus

He was hit by a third party and she was pretty shook up, I was very apologetic to her that she had to be on the end of that, I understand how hard it must be and I am truly sorry. the pet insurance will cover the damage to her car, further than that I could only offer apologies.

I will live with the guilt for not having him under control for that split second, so many contributing factors played a part in the accident. He was generally a very well behaved dog but still young at two years, I opened the back of the van, I was parked near a quiet but what turned out to fast road. just as I leant in to grab his lead he spotted a cyclist, he hadn't yet had his walk so was full of energy and chasing bikes was his absolute favourite thing as this is what we did every weekend when I took him out with my mountain bike. he saw the bike, i took my eye off him for a split second, he ran, i called out, he heard me but it was all too late.

There are so many things that could have been done differently but maybe his time was just up, I am prepared to shoulder the pain of that sight to know that he didn't suffer. I got him to a first class veterinary hospital within 5 minutes and they did everything possible for him and for a time there was hope but then the news came they had lost him.

Tomorrow I will lay him to rest myself, my final duty that I owe to him.

Thank you SS

I too have had dogs "dart" into/across the road, in front of cars.

Plus our only ever bought pup, a beautiful daschund finally had to be put down, after getting run over by the post van, which the wee £$%^& insisted in intercepting or chasing.

We still grieve for him.

My condolences are therefore heartfelt.

marcus

Mate speechless with a tear in my eye as most of us were as we read this post and looked into those eyes.

If theres one thing I know about dogs its that they forgive in a heart beat, Toby wouldn't have blamed you, you were and always will be he's Dad.

Don't believe in the afterlife but Rainbow bridge poem gets me hoping I'm wrong, look it up, have a read and a cry, which is ok to do, anyone who's had to say goodbye to their best friend has done a lot.

Jon

Thank you SS

I too have had dogs "dart" into/across the road, in front of cars.

Plus our only ever bought pup, a beautiful daschund finally had to be put down, after getting run over by the post van, which the wee £$%^& insisted in intercepting or chasing.

We still grieve for him.

My condolences are therefore heartfelt.

marcus

Marcus, that sounds aweful, the fact you still greive only goes to show what good owners you were to him and how much you cared. Thank you for your kind words.

Chris

Mate speechless with a tear in my eye as most of us were as we read this post and looked into those eyes.

If theres one thing I know about dogs its that they forgive in a heart beat' date=' Toby wouldn't have blamed you, you were and always will be he's Dad.

[b']Don't believe in the afterlife but Rainbow bridge poem gets me hoping I'm wrong[/b], look it up, have a read and a cry, which is ok to do, anyone who's had to say goodbye to their best friend has done a lot.

Jon

jon, Thank you. I have read said poem and what you say are my sentiments exactly. I will always be his Dad and I simply couldn't be prouder, he was an absolute privilege to own.

Chris

Once again, I have been blown away by the kind words and heartfelt messages on here. What a community we have. Your words have provided comfort.

I laid him to rest yesterday myself. Absolutely the right decision for me, I know that it was done properly and he was treated with dignity and respect. He is now resting at home sleeping so peacefully where he belongs.

Chris

Good hunting luck for a replacment (of sorts at first, but time is indeed the only healer)

We have now ammassed quite a pets graveyard.

ALL rescue dogs.

Bessie, a trifle assertive towards unknown dogs, fabulous with children, finally sccumbed to cancer after it must be said, one fight too many (with an absolute long time companion dog too) for a dog of 12 or 14.

Tiny the daschund.

LaLa the curtain christning own tail eating Maltese Terrier, killed by a Fox we presume, when a ripe old age, totally deaf and probably near blind.

And a few others, some so traumatised from previous owner experiences that it was either (i) a kindness to put them down

or

(ii) a necessity.

My/our rule is no agression towards humans.

Need to reasonably stay about and NOT fight with neighbours dogs across the lane.

They have a collection of three legged (seriously) rescue dogs, legs lost as a result of fighting AFTER re-homing.

When we inadvertently meet up the Moss it can be a trifle chaoctic.

Cheers

Marcus

As someone else on here said, for a dog to have a fufilling life, there must be some risk involved.

No different whatsover from raising children.

Ours are now 20 and 21, both driving, complete with all digits and limbs despite being allowed to play with knives, Army machetes and hachetts when toddlers. And red-hot pokers as we found out only recently

They sure learn quick

Edited by difflock