Hayter 48 Lawnmower problem Help

tony-d

As you have already bought and fitted the overrun sprockets you dont want to waste the effort by welding the roller up. Save that for when the sprockets fail again next year!

I could not open your video, but am guessing that you can move the two roller halves apart, probably by about 3 or 4mm?

You need to make sure the bronze bushes in the roller ends are intact with the 'top hat' flange in place. If not, replace the bushes.

Then add shims (washers) between the bearings and the bushes to push the roller halves together. allowing just a little play.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As you have already bought and fitted the overrun sprockets you dont want to waste the effort by welding the roller up. Save that for when the sprockets fail again next year!

I could not open your video, but am guessing that you can move the two roller halves apart, probably by about 3 or 4mm?

You need to make sure the bronze bushes in the roller ends are intact with the 'top hat' flange in place. If not, replace the bushes.

Then add shims (washers) between the bearings and the bushes to push the roller halves together. allowing just a little play.

Thanks Gardenkit!

I've studied the top hat bushes and they seem fine from the outside but I am wondering if the inside face of the top hat bush has worn so much that it is causing the play?

I actually reassembled the whole lot with new roller shaft support bearings, noticed the play so decided to strip it down again. In the process I couldn't get one of the bearings off again with my puller and thus broke the bearing case as I had to put so much torque into the puller...!

Thats a lot more play than I would expect to see.

Did you install the 2 black nylon washers (2mm thick each) between the two freewheel hubs? (the ones that came out may have been steel, the new ones are nylon)

These would push the rollers apart and create the centre gap. The remaining play will be taken up by shims between the roller bearings and the bronze top hat bushes.

• 3 weeks later...

So... After doing all this and being happy with the play on the roller I rotated the engine at the end where the blade fastens to and noticed that it isn't turning the rollers around...

Could the gearbox possibly have gone as well? Is there a way to check? Apparently it needed pushing before I bought it...