Hayter 48 Lawnmower problem Help

tony-d

Hi forum

could someone help me please, i am having problems with a hayter 48. I noticed a problem the other day in that the rear roller just kept spinning all the time, but only half the roller was spinning the other half remained still.

I decided in my infinite wisdom to remove it and see if anything is stuck, i have got as far as unbolting it from the deck but i cant seem to work out how to remove it from its carriage can anyone help please with some basic instructions ?

i have removed all visible cir clips, bolts, chain etc but i just can't get it out there is something rattling around in the roller so i guess something has come apart sheared off etc etc.

i can attach pictures if that helps?

also there some sort of gearbox on it which i never new was there looks as hough it should have been attached to a cable at sometime in its life if anyone knows what is required to get it working or in fact what it does that would be great to.

the model is a 488s by the way

thank you in advance.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In-between the two roller halfs are one way roller bearing like what you fine on a bike back wheel. Take the roll pin out of the sproket chain drive side take the bolts and screws from the bearing chases and remove the bearings. The roller shaft with the roller should come out pull off the roller parts and you will see the bits I'm on about. Give these a good soak in lube. Remove with a hammer and punch and replace check the inside o the rollers for wear. When it all goes back together it may need shimming. Top tip weld it up.

Thanks for your quick replies, the trouble i'm having is removing N-61 the 22 teeth sprocket off the shaft. I have taken everything off the other side so the roller in affect is hanging out one side but not enough to come out.

You can try to remove the sprocket with a suitable puller, but in the absence of such a thing use a wafer disc and cut it off the shaft, its cheaper than spending time messing around.

Bunnybasher is spot on with what the problem is. If the 'rocket' sprockets will undo from central hub then undo them. Note which way they were fitted and the position of the spacer rings. Sometimes they just will not come off the shaft so rather than waste time get a new shaft as well.

The gearbox you referrred to in the OP is the a 5 speed hub, the same as found inside some cycle rear wheels. They are not reliable and are often just left in whichever gear they failed, as a new one is around £110.

I have a roller to do tomorrow or monday on a Harrier 56. Will try to take some pics.

Once again thank you for all your help. Does anyone know if an older style rear roller will fit on this machine??? there are some on flea bay. this way i will eliminate the gearbox all together don't really want to spend unnecessary money on it if there is a problem with it. and i will store the faulty roller for the winter when i have more time to mess about with it as i have tried everything and that sprocket just wont come off :-(

Once again thank you for all your help. Does anyone know if an older style rear roller will fit on this machine??? there are some on flea bay. this way i will eliminate the gearbox all together don't really want to spend unnecessary money on it if there is a problem with it. and i will store the faulty roller for the winter when i have more time to mess about with it as i have tried everything and that sprocket just wont come off :-(

The one I can see on the bay is, as you say the older one with a solid,smooth, roller.

That assembly does not fit your machine.

As I said earlier, that sprocket can be a bitch to remove, so its sometimes best to carefully cut it off. A 4.5" grinder with a 1mm cutting disc will have it off in a few minutes. Be carefull to cut away from the keyway.

Fit both new freewheels and replace the seal as it will have hardened. Check the bronze bushes in the outer roller ends, as well as the bush bearings in the roller frame. Check the shaft for wear where it rotates in the bushes. Replace anything worn or you will be back in again before too long.

As long as the 5 speed hub is driving you should be able to pull the chain and set it in any speed, even if the cable is absent.

there is a plastic sprocket rivetted to the centre hub of the 5 speed, check that this is tight as the rivets have a habit of shearing. I usually replace them with small bolts or self tappers.

Firstly let me say a big thank you to everyone for your kind help!!!!

Update on the rear roller saga.......

i managed to get the sprocket off with great difficulty i borrowed a puller from a mechanic friend so that i thought was a great result until i couldn't get the the woodruff key off banged away heated it up nothing until it the dam thing sheared off!!!! now i have to work out how to get the remainder out....any ideas???

now i have the shaft out the sprockets seems to be turning ok well i think im no expert but they seem to be turning around ok. can anyone kindly give something to look out for as to why only half the roller was going around???

I have noticed that the sprockets are held into place with a big screw, is it a case of just getting a big wrench on them to undo them??

i also noticed that one of the screw holding the sprockets on the shaft is wound in further than the other could this we causing the problem to one side only spinning??

any further help would be good.

thank you

The key should tap out with a thin punch, jou may have to drill one end to get the punch under the key.

The sprockets will turn, but should act as ratchets and only turn one way, but they get water in and rust out. Its very common and in your case they certainly need replacing. The teeth of the sprocket fit over bent up tabs on the inner faces of the rollers, check they are not worn off.

They sprockets screw onto the hub from one side along with the spacers and seal, and are both then locked onto the hub with the one locking ring (nut)

I was hoping to post up pics tonight but did not get round to the 56 today, sorry.