Rack saw

renewablejohn

Hi John,

I can't really offer you any advice about the weight of the rack mill without seeing it, but I would advise strongly against using a caravan chassis for anything other than a caravan! So many people make trailers out of caravan chassis, but they're just not stiff enough. Go to Bateson Trailers in Stockport; they'll make you a strong chassis only at a realistic price, with brakes that'll actually stop you when you need to! Caravan brakes are not up to the job of stopping a trailer that's probably going to end up weighing nigh on 3 tonnes, and you'll get shunted into a ditch or someone else at the bottom of a long hill, with your wheels red hot and your brakes on fire! Just a thought...

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi John,

I can't really offer you any advice about the weight of the rack mill without seeing it, but I would advise strongly against using a caravan chassis for anything other than a caravan! So many people make trailers out of caravan chassis, but they're just not stiff enough. Go to Bateson Trailers in Stockport; they'll make you a strong chassis only at a realistic price, with brakes that'll actually stop you when you need to! Caravan brakes are not up to the job of stopping a trailer that's probably going to end up weighing nigh on 3 tonnes, and you'll get shunted into a ditch or someone else at the bottom of a long hill, with your wheels red hot and your brakes on fire! Just a thought...

Exactly what I was going to say. :thumbup1:

• 1 month later...

i've had racks for years and still run two a fixed and a mobile.

weight wise it depends on construction but dismantled our timber stenner 4 one would be under 3ton, or go in bits on an ifor, my fixed all steel/ iron smith peace one is around 7 but has a 30 foot steel table and i've cut 38 foot on it before with care. both will take up to 6 foot yankee blades. we run with either steam or tractor 135hp tw via a slip clutch and shear bolt. 419995_10150750606017704_1061483328_n.jpg

Hmmm,

Ah bin looking at racksaws again on ebay.

I found a figure somewhere that says about 12,15,000sfpm, which for a 4 foot dia blade approx 12 feet in circ = about 1000-1250rpm

So I could drive one direct off the 1000 PTO shaft.

Is this about right?

84 (tired)HP permitting?

marcus

sounds about right

Should be able to prove that shortly.

Quick update I have bought the beefier MF65 pto belt pulley and had a pto spline made so I can put on a standard pto shaft.

The thing I am struggling with is the minimum length of belt required to operate the drive and idler pulleys. Obviously to short and it wont stay in gear to long and it may slip off.

Should be able to prove that shortly.

Quick update I have bought the beefier MF65 pto belt pulley and had a pto spline made so I can put on a standard pto shaft.

The thing I am struggling with is the minimum length of belt required to operate the drive and idler pulleys. Obviously to short and it wont stay in gear to long and it may slip off.

I may have this wrong but have a vision of a pulley sticking out the back of a tractor with a 6 in wide belt on like you see on a steam engine ? . Is a modern pto shaft able to take this sideways force or am I wrong end of stick.

Why are you adamant about the flat belt drive?

I was not aware of any minimum length, except that a modicum of length, allowed for some reasonable pully misalignment.

Which will be an issue with a short flat belt, I can only presume, if the misalignment is sufficient to overcome the crowning forces.

Surely direct PTO shaft drive to a rigid mounted lay shaft with multiple "V" belt drive to the saw arbour shaft is best.

Use short "V" belts.

The alignment should be correct too?

marcus