best spray for bramble and rhododendron

woodland dweller

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't help with what to use in your situation but I had a load of rhody and laurel to do and was able to use glyphosate.

And I haven't read the whole thread so forgive me if I repeat what has been said before.

BUT

The big thing I found was when to use it.

Over a period of time and after taking many notes and photos I found that after cutting back in spring and spraying new growth in early summer, that new growth dies back but is replaced. But if after cutting back, new growth is sprayed in the autumn it will be gone for good.

Now. More detail.

I did a test section one year in sept-oct just as the summer ended and the weather cooled, By end december this was all just brown sticks. Success!

I treated the rest in the way same the year after; again at the end of sept and again there was just brown sticks remaining at end december.

There has been no subsequent regrowth on either section to date.

In the interests of completeness:

After spraying the main area there was a very slight shower of misty drizzly rain, so be safe I sprayed the whole lot a second time later in the week (4 days later) rather than wait a year to see If thats what I should have done. I am confident that one application would have been sufficient given that there was no re-growth in the test area but I wanted to be sure given that a fail would entail waiting until the next autumn and possibly having another year's regrowth to deall with.

Hope this of some help.

YNH:001_smile:

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for your input guys.

I have had good success using the same spraying method timing wise using Glyphosate, think I will convince the landowner to forget about the stump treatment and let me get on with it in the Autumn.

Tell the the land owner you can't use glyphosate in summer for stump treating as it will not work as the sap flow is active. Only works in winter when sap is not flowing.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk mobile app