Very cool way of winching your Alaskan up the log

Rob D

Where abouts are you attaching the other end of the winch line? I've had no probs with the back rails lifting - it seems to stay flat on the log all the way down...

:001_smile:

Ive tried running rope over the round rail and under it. The anchor point Ive had at a height parallel to log and below log end. It tends to be the rear right side, probably caused by powerhead weight? If you couteract it it can tilt elsewhere. Maybe more practice needed. I will study it more next time. :thumbup1:

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you tried it Bob? I have had a go at milling a 100yr old ash trunk today. I havnt a lot of milling time under the belt yet. Much respect to those who do alot especially freehand. :bowdown:

The winch is progress. However it does have the lift effect at the rear and I imagine the higher mounted winch bracket on Bobs causes frame endos(BMX speak from long gone youth) would be intrigued to know how it goes Bob.

I have made a crude vertical mill frame minimill style but without the rails. It runs on a ladder instead, My idea is to save carting lots of different tools around, rails, slabs of wood, cordless driver etc.

It works but needs refining I used it today with a 3120xp with a granberg ripping chain on a 36inch bar. I will post it in another new thread when I have pictures. Forgot camera today!:dong:

Works well, the weight of the winch and the lump of oak keep the back down and the way i attached the winch rope to the bit of rope that goes across the two risers keeps it flat and square.

• 2 years later...

Finally got around to getting a winch, not used it yet but fitting it was easy.

Rob I saw your vid on fitting a winch and have a much simpler fix for the small nub nut. Instead of drilling out the channel in the mill to allow it to drop in, I simply loosened the nut to allow the nub bolt to drop enough to slide into the channel in the same way the main bolt does. I 've attached a closeup to show this.

Both nuts can be loosened to slide the winch to best position then tightened up again.👍

1439829675588.jpg.1cdedddf974f39119f9a05057cbe44b5.jpg

Are you guys using a full length handle on your winches or cut them down?

Also have you ditched the ratchet or is it useful for maintaining tension?

Ta,

Richie

Hi, I've shortened the handle, stops it whacking my elbow when taking the mill back to the start of the log. Kept the ratchet as it stops the winch releasing when you're putting the wedges in.

Just my opinion.

Pete