What SHOULD it mean?

Sorry, I didn't mean it's an evolution for the Arb industry. I mean that working from a single line that is anchored at the tree top (or tree base) is currently seeing an evolution of gear design and technology and climbing technique, in it's own little bubble.

Gosh, I hope I got all that phrased correctly without a single mistake otherwise it's just fuel for yet another fire!:thumbdown::001_tt2:

Anyway, I reckon FLT - Fixed Line Technique. That seems to me to be the most self explanatory.

Yes mate thats kind of the way I look at it too, the way we climb is constantly evolving and Fixed Line Technique is just another branch in an ever growing tree, see what I did there!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I seriously dont see the confusion, are you guys working with peoiple who are fully brain dead or what.

Why does it have to change from what it is now, are people dying or so confused they are frozen in fear and unable to work ? No they are not.

It really seems some people just like to discuss meaningless ****, like they are a mover and a shaker in the tree climbing world....lol, so they make threads like this to discuss minutia and beat it into the ground until it is seriously dead.

It has been going on for months, longer, years, theres threads at every arbo forum , probably all started by the same guy but your still at the ummmmm what should we call it stage....what should we call SRT....... well how about SRT, I mean it makes sense no, Single Rope Technique.

These abbreviations matter to so very few, they will not all of the sudden enlighten all through a new and better abbreviation so why bother, it is what it is and it works just fine.

Talk about trying to confuse an issue.

Edited by Grais

At least it is now being discussed, nothing may change yet, the seeds are being sown. ...

This is true. It is also good while throwing out thoughts, to keep things in perspective. This is not a big deal, just a deal. I rate it the same as wiping off a drop of sweat from your brow before it rolls into your eye. An annoyance that can be wiped away but life will go on either way.

I do find it interesting how there seems to be a limit on just how much change people are willing to tolerate. So much changes so fast with barely a notice or even eager anticipation, while other things need to stay the same just because that is how it was.

I seriously dont see the confusion, are you guys working with peoiple who are fully brain dead or what.

Why does it have to change from what it is now, are people dying or so confused they are frozen in fear and unable to work ? No they are not.

It really seems some people just like to discuss meaningless ****, like they are a mover and a shaker in the tree climbing world....lol, so they make threads like this to discuss minutia and beat it into the ground until it is seriously dead.

It has been going on for months, longer, years, theres threads at every arbo forum , probably all started by the same guy but your still at the ummmmm what should we call it stage....what should we call SRT....... well how about SRT, I mean it makes sense no, Single Rope Technique.

These abbreviations matter to so very few, they will not all of the sudden enlighten all through a new and better abbreviation so why bother, it is what it is and it works just fine.

We are not all fully brain functional like you Grease, whilst in your ramblings there are some truths, its just yet again been lost.

I think I don't really care enough to press the point, and I certainly don't want an argument or to antagonise you, but the point is that SRT is, for all the reasons given, the worst choice of term. Doubled line uses a single rope too. And when it's working it's not a rope it's a line, and it's not so much a technique as a system. And it is confused with other meanings of SRT. So there's not really a single word in it that is as appropriate as other words that could be used. You know what it means, I know, most people do quite quickly get over the ambiguity in it. So do we all go on with an inappropriate term and pass on the inadequacies of it to the next generation and so on ad infinitum or change it and the old guard buy into the change, udse it, teach it, pass it on and the new definition takes over?

Resistance to change versus need (if any) for change. About evenly balanced since nobody is dying of it.

Personally things that don't don't do what is says on the tin just annoy me, but I am a self-confessed pedant. But it would be SOOOO easy to choose better terms than existing, and remove all ambiguity for everyone everywhere forever....

I dont think there is any confusion about double lines using a single rope aswell? SRT doesnt mean one rope only, it means there is a single line that you are working with. SRT can be set up using two lines of you chose to. One line could go through a gri gri or similar and be used to lower down the aother line, thats still SRT but two ropes. Doubled rope technique means there is a doubled rope that you are working with, and that is one rope doubled. Same as twin anchor points and two systems can be achieved with one rope(this is not DRT) or two ropes, and DRT double rope technique is also achievable with one rope or two, it means two fixed lines.

So SRT isnt a sytem it only refers to the set up of the line, so the "system" is what you choose to attach to your SRT line, to ascend with, so you might use RAds, or Frog, or HH or RW etc etc.

Then for DdRT, that only means the set up of the rope, you then need a sytem of your choice attached to it, prussik, HC/VT etc.

And DRT means the set up of the rope(s) i.e. two fixed lines, and then you need a sytem for ascending that, double ascenders or footlock strop, etc.

I really think there is no need for confusion, but the only thing that is new really is working off a single line. SRT does imply an access set up, not really a working set up.

So SRWP or SLWP is not a bad idea at all.

I don't think this as a massive life changing subject. I was having a bite to eat yesterday and read the thread on Treebuzz. It piqued my curiosity so I thought it worthy of mild discussion here because it may throw up some interesting points.

I don't think that legislation is going to change over night but these kinds of discussion are sometimes the seeds sown for the future.

Rupe, despite what you say about confusion, I think that you are of a mind set that sees beyond the first hurdle and can make a quick analysis of this kind of thing. Other people do get confused about the relationship around the 'Fixed' or 'Static' rope. That's not my opinion, people have told me with their own words.

If in the fulness of time a method of disseminating the appropriate information into very easy to understand presentations can be found, it would be nice.

I think.