HitchClimber Friction hitch system - HELP

shevtron

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This will sound daft but I thought with the hitchclimber ideally you needed the rope either side i.e. with E2E you can have an eye either side. :confused1:

Rather than a loop, you would tie the knot each end of the rope directly to the crab. Ie a fisherman's in place of the eye splice, does that make as much sense in words as it does it my mind?!

Rather than a loop, you would tie the knot each end of the rope directly to the crab. Ie a fisherman's in place of the eye splice, does that make as much sense in words as it does it my mind?!

Yeah I have tried it with termination knots but its all a bit messy I feel... Most likely just OCD kicking in. Ha!

Yeah I have tried it with termination knots but its all a bit messy I feel... Most likely just OCD kicking in. Ha!

I purchased the honey bros hitchclimber kit about 4 years ago with the spliced OP, then when it wore out I just used lengths of cord with fisherman knots, it made no difference to the functionality of the HC. It's only bulky when using a rope wrench tether with two tails.

Cheers for all the advice, ordered the DMM hitch climber rapide pulley, couple of DMM oval krabs and 3m of 8mm armor prus cord. Will see how I get on with the cord to start with. After 5 years of climbing on a basic prussick I think it was time I tried something new haha!

Have you not tried just adding a basic pulley to your prussik sytem, or tying a distel or vt with a length of cord and adding a micro pulley?? Maybe you just wanted to spend £££ but there really was no need, you can try the sytem with the kit you already have to see if you like it. Then buy the HC et al when you know its the way you want to go. The performance of the HC is no different to any pulley based friction hitch, and the "rapide" will make no further difference at all.

What stories are they :001_smile:

I used ocean 10mm for years on a variety of lines over 5 types off the top of my head. but they changed it not sure what they did now it just doesn't last I like to get a good couple of weeks climbing out a hitch at least.

Liking the armour prus again 10mm, 8mm always seems to get hot or bind tight for me and before you say it I'm slim at around 13st I think it's just a personal thing.

Anyway armour prus I can get a month out of its good cord.

Ahh no horror stories! Hahaha. Iv just heard it struggles to bite down in various scenarios. Don't wish to knock it, a lot of people rate it, just wanted to share what I'd heard.

I'd really like to give the 10mm AP a go, especially now I'm climbing on a thinner line.

Let us know how you get on Shevtron!

I use eye to eyes on my 13mm Yale XTC plus. I have an 8 mm and a 10mm. I much prefer the 8mm Yale Beeline to the 10mm Yale Silverstreak. I use a Shwabich (think thats how its spelt) Prussic knot and find that works best with the 8mm but if you're using a VT hitch then both work well.

Jake

I purchased the honey bros hitchclimber kit about 4 years ago with the spliced OP, then when it wore out I just used lengths of cord with fisherman knots, it made no difference to the functionality of the HC. It's only bulky when using a rope wrench tether with two tails.

Got a pic? Just so I can confirm we're on the same wave...