My new splitter

Peasgood

About time I put some pics up, mostly because I haven't seen one like it on here (unless I missed it).

I have an Oxdale and can't fault it tbh but I wanted a horizontal splitter. This was so I could split and push the logs onto my adapted bale elevator.

This meant it had to push through the blade rather than the blade being on the ram. It also needed a table of sorts.

I was in the process of planning how to build one and came across this one on the internet. Surprising how many times you can look at log splitters and still come across something you hadn't seen before.

Pretty much exactly what I was after so I bought one. Very good splitter and it does do what I want it to. Well thought out design but I do have to say it wasn't finished off too well. Biggest complaint is that the handles were too short and the guard over them too close to the valve. Obviously never checked before it was sent out as it just couldn't possibly work as it was. Big hammer sorted it but you shouldn't have to do that on a new machine.

Top link pin hole is too big and the Cat 2 pin they supplied slips right through.

Couple of other minor issues too. All in all not major faults, just stupid things that wouldn't take much getting right.

Would I recommend one? Well I have no regrets. :)

Made by Hand Engineering in Ireland.

IMG_0473_zpsdb2d437a.jpg

:o

nice looking machine, I used to hire one that worked in the same way, cos we were splitting big timber it used to annoy me having to pick everything back up off the floor to split it again after it had been over the knife.

My vertical with a travelling blade was found to be much faster for our timber

I don't think there is a single machine that suits everyone as there are so many variables.

Most of my wood is leylandii at 9-12" diameter from own grown trees. I cut to 18" lengths as that is what fits in my fires.

If I had big rings of oak, beech etc this splitter wouldn't be much use, but it does suit what I have. I did some bigger stuff the other day, just dropped the knife down and quartered the rings. Then lifted it back up again to finish them off.

As for lifting stuff up again, do you use a hookeroon? I haven't had one for very long but kicking myself for leaving that so many years.

Thanks.

It is a Lister elevator.

New engine was just over £100 and 6hp instead of the old 2hp that never did run properly.

Couple of roofing battens fastened under the slats and some galvanised sheet screwed on to stop the logs falling through.

Side extensions are just some bent up rebar with sheet tacked on.

Hopper is a Give Way sign cut in half and a bit of ply.

All very simple really. Took a bit of thinking about but didn't cost much to do.

Really useful thing to have. Brilliant when parked next to the Fergie saw bench. (which is what I made it for really)

Does the flashing l.e.d gear knob make it go faster? lol

Love the idea of using the bale elevator, and also thrown many a bale on them. Not much could be said about the b and s original motor on them tho, we stuck a 5 hp electric motor on ours in the end as it was always used in the barn.

Perry? maybe your getting muddled with the perry loader Alycidon? before the days of the flat 8 system as kids we spent many an hour riding on the bale slide waiting for that 6th bale before jumping off and stacking it up into for the perry loader on the mf35 to come collect it.