Another srt help thread.

An older set up I had using a hand ascender neck loop & pantin on the right foot.

Bit of a bodge up system tbo, but did the job ok.

Yeah thats nice and basic cheers for the pic i lke the simplicity,this is what i needed for ideas.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't really find a corollary that much better than a hitch honestly. And I would much rather fall on a hitch than a croll. A croll will cut your rope. If you have a hitch than it is a easy switch to ddrt. It's also possible to descend easily with the addition of any friction device like a Munter. With a croll, your pretty much stuck in up mode. Srt need not be expensive. I use a hitch quite often for my upper ascender as well.

I didn't really find a corollary that much better than a hitch honestly. And I would much rather fall on a hitch than a croll. A croll will cut your rope. If you have a hitch than it is a easy switch to ddrt. It's also possible to descend easily with the addition of any friction device like a Munter. With a croll, your pretty much stuck in up mode. Srt need not be expensive. I use a hitch quite often for my upper ascender as well.

I also never use a croll.Makes a nice simple swap to Ddrt at the top, and more economical. Just check your hitch holds before you ascend. Mine is backed up to the upper accender anyway. I like your point that with only a crab it can also be used to decend, unlike anything toothed. That pic posted earlier has no back up does it? Looks like its just the croll as life support. Thats got to be a no no?

I also never use a croll.Makes a nice simple swap to Ddrt at the top, and more economical. Just check your hitch holds before you ascend. Mine is backed up to the upper accender anyway. I like your point that with only a crab it can also be used to decend, unlike anything toothed. That pic posted earlier has no back up does it? Looks like its just the croll as life support. Thats got to be a no no?

I think if your croll and ascender are linked to your main ring its fine without a hitch.

what if you base tie? i think its easier to clip your pre tied system straight onto your harness and simply install your c saver then put rope through and hey presto working system. hanging on your lanyard fiddling round , uniting knots and potentially dropping the rope doesn't sound very economical to me. you can just leave all the gear on the line or send it down the rope to your groundie

It's fine but more if a pain because you have to swap around your whole system and carry around and buy another piece of gear.

Horses for courses like we say here, for me as a preference I prefer a toothed ascendor access set up, often we work in groups often 2 even had 5 up a tree the access line is set up for all to enter the tree rapidly and independently toothed ascendors are very quick to remove. It is good to become quick at transferring to a descent which is easy enough to do but does require a minute or 2.

Still some very itresting points here you just have to find what suits your needs.

Yes of course. He was concerned about spending money on gear. The more toys the better right? But you don't need money to srt. It can be done with the same gear for ddrt. One rope one hitch a couple a biners. A pantin if you can't footlock. I love my petzl ascent tree but I never clipinto it. I use ascender as rope grabs. They kind of sketch me out.

Yes of course. He was concerned about spending money on gear. The more toys the better right? But you don't need money to srt. It can be done with the same gear for ddrt. One rope one hitch a couple a biners. A pantin if you can't footlock. I love my petzl ascent tree but I never clipinto it. I use ascender as rope grabs. They kind of sketch me out.

Yeah i hear what your saying,i just had a croll and a few other bits turn up today so will sort it all out tomorrow.I will simply use the gear for ascent then just get my already setup hitch climber and work off that,The srt for me will only be used for bigger tree access to start with.