Purpose Built Forwarder Thread (OSA, FMG/Bruunett, Entracon, Norcar/Logset etc)

Thought I'd start this as there seems to be a bit of traffic ref forwarders in the sub 10 ton payload category but excluding the micro machines such as Alstors etc. So that includes the Entracon Loglander / bigger Vimeks / bruunetts / OSA / Kockums / etc upto the Valmet 820 / Komatsu 830, Gremo, JD 801E, Logset 4F / Rottne / Novotny etc.

Me and Elf both have bruunetts (578s), recent enquiry about the OSA etc; kind of thought we could pool information here, plus it's easier to attach photos via a thread.

Unless you've got 6 figures to spend, the older stuff has its place I reckon (I thought hmmm, £70k vimek vs sub £10k bruunett - no brainer when I was in the market).

For me a Brunnett 578 (or a 678 with better crane, transmission, comforts but no more capacity) in good nick is worth its weight in gold; thinnings suited, low impact, basic so easy to maintain, international and cranab parts etc, the list goes on.

Post your maintenance enquiries, business suitablity theories, stories and pics here! :thumbup:

I never did get to drive one but St Regis used one in sites I was working. How does the tractor gearbox couple in with the hydrostatic drive?

:blushing: er dunno, except that it was an off-the-shelf international hydro tractor skid-unit used. I've got the entire parts manual which will make it obvious - will dig it out.

Neighbour up the road bought one o them (International Tractors) brand new to buckrake silage.

The hired help thought it was great crack to still be travelling forward with the wheels spinning madly in reverse, an visa-versa.

OK smooth concrete lubed with squashed grass is quite slippery, but the old girl took simply dogs abuse and never lay down.

Very sound engineering, and a therefore cracking base-unit for a forwarder.

That I recall

Neighbour up the road bought one o them (International Tractors) brand new to buckrake silage.

The hired help thought it was great crack to still be travelling forward with the wheels spinning madly in reverse, an visa-versa.

OK smooth concrete lubed with squashed grass is quite slippery, but the old girl took simply dogs abuse and never lay down.

Very sound engineering, and a therefore cracking base-unit for a forwarder.

That I recall

That's good to hear. I have heard before that the international engine in the bruunetts is indestructible both in atmo and turbo'd form. Case told me the old long stroke will indeed go on forever. Very reliable in our experience too.

Even Donald at the FCA remembers the Bruunetts saying something along the lines of "good strong crane". I must admit I find the standard 4115 crane slow and short with no extension, but yes it does seem tough. Saying that, I've been running at 1200 - 1500 rpm whereas 1800 rpm seems the "correct" speed for crane operation. Now that the thing revs better after a fuel filter change I will try it. Another thing ref bruunetts - you MUST use IH Hy-tran fluid in the trans / crane; ignore any comments suggesting UTTO is fine - it aint!

Edited by TimberCutterDartmoor