British Soldier to Tree Surgeon!!

MrFaz

Thats all cool , each to his own views, i'm ex RM, 10 years in, and nearly 20 years in the trees, but i did keep going to study, M.Arbor.A now, just sold my main company, and consult , fish, and as i have something mentally wrong with me insist on spending the rest of my time resolving peoples tree stump problems, i find some sort of release from hand digging stumps , and grinding them when i can get to them, there is something very primitive about digging stumps , you can really switch off, and have a great work out and get paid for it :thumbup:

I hope you are not still using an entrenching tool.........:biggrin:

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats all cool , each to his own views, i'm ex RM, 10 years in, and nearly 20 years in the trees, but i did keep going to study, M.Arbor.A now, just sold my main company, and consult , fish, and as i have something mentally wrong with me insist on spending the rest of my time resolving peoples tree stump problems, i find some sort of release from hand digging stumps , and grinding them when i can get to them, there is something very primitive about digging stumps , you can really switch off, and have a great work out and get paid for it :thumbup:

As I said it was only my opinion. And I respect yours. I just know that when I had a mate do some work for me a few years ago, when he was skint and on leave. He told me how grateful he would be going back to finishing work by midday, having his scoff provided and being pampered in the line infantry.

My point isn't that manual work in gardens is all bad. It's just that there are easier ways to earn a crust and I'd rather the bloke know it.

Glad it is going well for you mate. For a bootneck it seems like things have turned out surprisingly well for you!

All this talk of the industry being saturated surprises me , yes there is too many doing it for naff all but when I post ads on here I seldom get a response other than inexperienced lads looking for 150 a day. I know of one local guy been operating for years mentioned he might not bother to advertise tree surgery anymore for the lack of climbers available.

Just to throw my opinion into the mix. I've recently (not the recent, I've been lazy) come back from a tour with the TA's. I closed down my company to do it... My advice would be to stay in if you can! If you have got redundancy then do something else. I'll explain way...

1) As others have said, your limited with age in arb. When you are late 40's if you arn't running a company your life is horrible. Thats my experience (I'm younger than that) and that of everyone I know.

2) The pay isn't great. Yes you can earn decent money occasionally, however it's never regular and you will have to EARN it.

3) Companies in Arb, are generally small and because of that play hard and fast with the rules... If you upset the boss, your likely to find yourself with no job and no money. That's just how it is in this industry.

4) It's hard. Like really really hard. In the summer you will sweat and be close to passing out. In the winter you will be freezing. Climbing a tree in freezing rain is about as much fun as being on an exercise when it's pissing it down.

5) People will treat you like dirt. They don't view "lumberjacks" as anything more than tramps.

I know people won't like what I've said. And their experiences will be different to mine. However I can honestly say that not many people would look back and say "yep I'm glad I did that, it's been a rewarding and enjoyable career" when they retire with no pension at 50.

That said, if you do. You will work with some great people, and have a bit of fun along the way. You will end up all standing around scratching your head thinking wtf, and have to find an ingenius way of working it out.

Your call, but I would feel a bit rubbish not being real with you.

I know nothing about the Army and all that but this is one of the best posts i've seen recently. Harsh but truthful.

There might be a lack of skilled climbers but that doesn't mean employers willpay a fair wage to experienced climbers.

Are you experienced?

If you are why not go out there and find some companies that will appreciate the skills you bring to their companies?

Sorry if I missed it... But are you ex mitary?

Are you experienced?

If you are why not go out there and find some companies that will appreciate the skills you bring to their companies?

Sorry if I missed it... But are you ex mitary?

Iv been climbing for eight years now.

Most Companies in London don't pay more than £120 a day. All I'm saying is after you work your nuts off and put the effort in the return is minimal!! Tree wages are still the same over eights years on from when I started yet the cost of living has risen!! Some will say its not about the money and it a "lifestyle". It's not. Its a job which could be great if employers met climbers half way!! The military is a lifestyle career. I'm ex Royal Marines. (One of the greatest fighting forces):thumbup:

Iv been climbing for eight years now.

Most Companies in London don't pay more than £120 a day. All I'm saying is after you work your nuts off and put the effort in the return is minimal!! Tree wages are still the same over eights years on from when I started yet the cost of living has risen!! Some will say its not about the money and it a "lifestyle". It's not. Its a job which could be great if employers met climbers half way!! The military is a lifestyle career. I'm ex Royal Marines. (One of the greatest fighting forces):thumbup:

It seems you are pretty discontented with your lot. Why after 8 years are you still doing it? Ever thought of moving to something else where the return (in your opinion) isn't minimal?