British Soldier to Tree Surgeon!!

MrFaz

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plants, Hedges, Forestry & Landscaping | Nicholsons Nursery Oxfordshire are recruiting now. Look on their website for more info. I know a couple of good people who work there. A prestigious company with an interesting tree nursery too.

Another big tree related company is http://www.southbuckstreesurgeons.com They often have big roadside jobs and need experienced or casual workers.

Hope these will help!

codlasher.

PS. I don't want to knock Kingswood Training but there is a more local training facility with climbing and chain saw related facilities available near Thame/Risborough. You could look at http://www.valetrainingservices.co.uk they offer discounts to folk in agriculture/horticulture/forestry. Kate or Melanie will be able to advise on that.

c.

Edited by codlasher

I done some of my resettlement with TKF in Holmfirth a month or so ago. Great set up and good tutors. Places on courses are limited so you might want to get a shift on if you've only a few months left, they couldn't be more helpful.

Good luck mate.

Do your research mate...

Too many people leave the forces with tales of people earning 150 a day etc and it does not happen (on the most part anyway). It's definitely not that easy, and the transition will be a tough one, I left last year after 6 years in an airborne unit obviously with the above mindset thinking it would be a breeze. But it was a real struggle adapting to the lower income at first....

I managed to pester my way into a trainee climber position and have learned an incredible amount already, your best bet would definitely be a smaller firm if you want the climbing experience! Kingswood and tkf are both excellent at what they do as well!!

If all goes well and you crack on always paying attention to the boss and being a bit of a beaker like me and doing your own research in time off then you will do well! Firms love someone who will work hard and have laugh too! If you just do tickets with a company then book yourself on a RFS certificate in Arboriculture too with myerscough college. Online based and £70 with your learning credits!!! Then you won't just be a chainsaw happy loon like my mate warren haha!!

Anyway from negative to positive this essay has been lovely! Learn a lot and enjoy it mate! Absolutely any questions give me a tinkle 07598798110

• 1 month later...

mate speak to a guy called Richard Olley he runs Kingswood Training Services down in Shipbourne Tonbridge kent i am in the army and did my resettlement down with him hes got a good set up am up in liverpool and its worth the 4 hour drive mite be worth giving him look plus you can get work to pay for it thats what i did

mate speak to a guy called Richard Olley he runs Kingswood Training Services down in Shipbourne Tonbridge kent i am in the army and did my resettlement down with him hes got a good set up am up in liverpool and its worth the 4 hour drive mite be worth giving him look plus you can get work to pay for it thats what i did

Danny doesnt make sense here. This is because he is an idiot! I know this because we did the course together. Kingswood is an excellent training establishment. Its really aimed at ex servicemen and is fully covered by ELCAS and all your accomodation can be claimed back therefore you get a 4 grand course for free. All the instructors are very knowledgable with years of experiance and are a great laugh with a squaddie sense of humour. You will learn everything you need to know and have fun doing it. If you have any questions just PM me or draiituk. Im sure he wont mind.

Kings wood training course you can do it as your resettlement mate did it myself when I left the army I did seven years in 2rtr mate the did the course and I've been a tree surgeon for five years now mate you will love it. Speak to resettlement officer and ask for kings wood mate