I made an error, time for a correction!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lonsdale's phrase describes the health aspect well. I've termed these structures "columns" to describe the vertical orientation and the structural aspect, since they are often looked at in terms of risk assessment. 'Columns' also communicates the absence or relative irrelevance of the valleys/sinuses/depressions when the older wood is not so woody anymore.

Thanks for refining and clarifying your terminology; it's a constant process, or should be.

• 7 months later...

I thought this was the best place to fess up to another really bad error I made many many moons ago.

I was a naive young mycologist, budding at the time and branded this image about as Piptoporus quercinus, now many moons have gone by and with time served and wisdom gathered I know it is not Piptoporus at all but more likely Inonotus dryadeus.

Piptoporus flesh dry's white, not orange to rust, lesson learned.

I realise why I made the error, inonotus brackets change a lot as they mature.

This one stings a bit! especially as I owe Forest imp an apology:blushing: Hence it will be also added to the Staverton thread

263015_10150227103869240_4484240_n.jpg.10a068ce7a3817c746a05a04b709ee1a.jpg

Piptoporus flesh dry's white, not orange to rust, lesson learned.

is this from any particular reference Tony?

Always did think these were not quite right, particularly being from out of (live?) bark and in such an urban environment.

great thing about mycology though, we all need make these mistakes along the journey & then share & move forward.

Glad you've cleared this one up :thumbup1:

Strange only an attempt to rectify this error has been pathetically made?

What about the tens of thousands of other errors, misinformation and uneducated claptrap that you have composed over the years, to rectify all that sewage would be a full time job!

Don't sugar coat it, tell him what you really think :laugh1: I have been inspired by some of the posts on fungus, when I saw a fungus on a tree before I used to think nothing but now I think, "that's a fungus that is" :thumbup:

Strange only an attempt to rectify this error has been pathetically made?

What about the tens of thousands of other errors, misinformation and uneducated claptrap that you have composed over the years, to rectify all that sewage would be a full time job!

Jonny, dear, dear jonny, such a severe and unjust character assassination is born of a very sad inferiority complex, you must have the smallest dongle on the planet.

sad sadsack:biggrin: