Link for a generic risk assessment for using chainsaw onsite

Rob D

Better to make your own from scratch Rob - using generic jobbies means you change the name and date at the top and never really know what's inside it.

The process of writing your own risk assessment means you genuinely understand it instead of just absorbing it.

There's a good example one on the arb association website, and a good guidance document on the HSE Treework page.

Cheers - I will have a look at that (and actually another member has just sent me a copy of the one he uses... ta Ginger!)

I will look through it but most of it will stay the same but I just want to have a proper format to it. I can then give the impression that I am a professional ha ha!

:001_smile:

The fact you don't know how to do 1, and you have done this job for years, proves you don't need to do 1!!!:biggrin:

I know Stevie - but the job I'm doing demands one so....

That said we all do risk assessments all the time all day every day - the difference is these are not written down. :001_rolleyes:

A RA only needs to be recorded on paper if its for 5 people or more, unless the client demands it of course, I presume this is the case here. :001_rolleyes: I agree, we all carry out mental RA's every day.

What you need to assess is - what the risks are, who could be harmed, how they could be harmed and how you are going to prevent said people being harmed, the fifth step is to write all this down. Don't forget to update if situation changes. You can get some pretty swanky templates or copy books, but it can also be done on an old bit of scrap paper or the proverbial back of the fag packet (don't forget to assess the risks of smoking and associated fire risks if you're on the back of a fag packet :001_rolleyes:). The important thing about a RA is that it is relevant and carried out, not that it looks shiny, although I suspect a lot of companies prefer shiny to relevant.

I recently had a 42 page risk assessment rejected for not having enough detail. When I asked what they recommend I do to improve it they felt it needed a few more tick boxes and a bit more colour. If you have been doing the job for 20 years without major incident do you really need to write a manual for an idiot every time you go on site. BS legislation to create jobs for lazy civil servants.