Chainsaw update training to become mandatory for all operatives from Oct 2013

PhilBeech

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...but a very old saying keeps coming to mind " those that can do, those that cant, teach"

I've always thought that statement is about as useful as "If she doesn't drown when we dunk her in the pond then she's a witch"

Open minds are required. Who would I rather work with. A recently ticketed bloke with a cautious approach to how he uses a saw, or the "Done it for years, mate" bloke, who has bad habits that just haven't either injured himself or others yet.

I want to work with people who have open minds, aren't full of themselves and can listen to youth as readily as listening to the elders. Are always up to improving themselves and can take criticism without a "harrumph".

There are always new tools and techniques appearing that just might make the job easier or safer, that a refresher course could make you aware of.

Ultimately though it is about the cost of this plan to the business. The content has to be right and the time-lost/cost element has to be reasonable.

It's like passing your driving test- you're assessed to be reasonably competent but I would have thought most people learn more though being on the job. I've worked with lots of people in the last couple of years who've just passed their test & can't sharpen a saw, I was probably the same.

Won't this tend to favour people who've just passed their tickets recently rather than people with experience- from a safety aspect who would you rather be working with?

But if you do the refresher YOU are up to date AND have more experience! I will refresh in another few years and I will foot the bill, why? Because I will be up to date, I hope they do it like the UA tickets, where you refresh the highest one, but I doubt they will, but it won't bother me, because I would still need to do 32, 38 and 39

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

The big problem is unless your a commercial operation this makes the game very unfair.

The decent guy goes and does all the courses and the refreshers out of pocket and lost time.

The other guy never bothers with tickets, steals the work when your on your course and offers cheaper prices because they dont have to recoup thousands of pounds in training etc.

There will be no checks made and even when the rogue has an accident they can just up and go.

This is a big waste of time unless they will maintain a system like gas safe. And customers must demand to see your qualifciations.

But our industry is led by our customers wanting a cheap price and willing to use anyone willing to do the job for a bob ;D

I believe in training and certification only if it is enforced across the board !.

But if you do the refresher YOU are up to date AND have more experience! I will refresh in another few years and I will foot the bill, why? Because I will be up to date, I hope they do it like the UA tickets, where you refresh the highest one, but I doubt they will, but it won't bother me, because I would still need to do 32, 38 and 39

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

The people here who will suffer the most will be forestry workers who are still mostly self employed, who aren't really paid that well & don't have customers they can pass these costs on to. I read in the papers about a year ago how the UK lumberjack comes out no.1 for jobs that have seen wages falling in real terms over the last few years.

From my perspective, in terms of forestry skills (take 38 upwards out of the equation as tree surgeon quals) you are looking at assessing 31,32,34,35 (equivalents).

Common sense would say that if I have a wind throw job I'd call the assessor to come out on one of those days and do the update then. He sees the highest qual demonstrated, discusses and highlights any new theory and then goes on his way. I make money of some kind on the day and get written up into the bargain.

No sense losing a days wage. If you start thinking of the refresher plenty in advance, then perhaps there is scope to make it work for you.

From my perspective, in terms of forestry skills (take 38 upwards out of the equation as tree surgeon quals) you are looking at assessing 31,32,34,35 (equivalents).

Common sense would say that if I have a wind throw job I'd call the assessor to come out on one of those days and do the update then. He sees the highest qual demonstrated, discusses and highlights any new theory and then goes on his way. I make money of some kind on the day and get written up into the bargain.

No sense losing a days wage. If you start thinking of the refresher plenty in advance, then perhaps there is scope to make it work for you.

That's a good approach!

yes, yes, yes, by all means when you get a "job" like windblow that you need to get a "ticket " for upgrade on it, but what about us that have been doing them for years, no two are ever the same, and multiples, where do you start......there is NO better skill than experience on these, just renewing a ticket every so often doesnt mean you have any better skills than the one man band whos been working away and not bothered gathering up qualifications like points on a card, all the "ticket" collectors have been doing is making the various training companies rich. All this rubish started after 1998 when everybody and there dog saw a chance to get rich quick and there was a big rise in reported accidents as numpties were having accidents doing basic things, How many on this site can actually claim to have been active prior to '98 and what difference has it made to there own safety, all I have seen is an increase in cost and paperwork, and less actual "experienced" folk coming up through the pile of wannabes, anybody can do a course, get a bussines card, and call themselves an arborist, lets see them get there arse out onto a remote hillside, clearfell and remove it, in the wind and rain, maybe have to carry your kit in 3 or 4 mile before you start, and get paid only when youve finished, and cleared the site. wouldnt be so many wannabes then. instead of "renewall" of tickets, maybe a check on your actual skill level with a written as well as a practical exam, by a completly independant board, paid for by those that want the paperwork (ie FISA) would be more appropriate. they want it, therefore they pay for it.