massive basal swelling on tulip tree

shillo

Extraordinary swelling. liriodendron very common native here so pic4 is a familiar sight. Never ID'd it; here stems can look like that a long time without other changes in condition noted.

or maybe i just was not paying enough attention.

The swelling looks like its burring around the base which may be perfectly normal or it may be bottling caused by adaptive growth in response to internal white rot. If there is dead tissue or decay present on the outside (which there looks to be) it is worth trying to establish if the decay is localized surface decay or is a significant decay pocket.You may find tapping around the base with a rubber mallet or similar could help you to establish if there is extensive decay or poking about with a metal probe can help to find cavities and how deep they are. It`s fairly difficult to tell what fungus may be present from the evidence you have.

What are the targets around?

If you are unsure get a consultant`s opinion.

Thanks for the advice.

The decay certainly didnt seem to go very deep at all mainly just bark death with small patches of white rot.

I cleared lots of rhodos from the back half of the tree which did look like it was causing a lot of the bark death as the dead bark was only evident directly beneath where the rhodo was touching the stem of the tulip?

No major targets.

I cleared lots of rhodos from the back half of the tree which did look like it was causing a lot of the bark death as the dead bark was only evident directly beneath where the rhodo was touching the stem of the tulip?

That may simply be physical damage. I had it with a red oak a couple of years ago: the rhodos had literally scrubbed the bark off the back of the tree.

• 5 years later...