"Long arm" redirect idea

Hi all, I've been toying with this idea over the last week after dead wooding / pruning a large angophora with a huge spread but not a lot of height, I was finding rather than set a redirect (which would have been a pain in the ass to do) I'd save time and just muscle out to where I needed to go. I thought 'if i could just chuck my long lanyard into a high fork above me and use it to hoist my climbing line up, I could tie it off on the limb and effectively I'd have my redirect', just returning to where it's tied off to retrieve it instead of having to go back up to get it like a sling and 'biner redirect.

So what I am thinking is an 8m long bit of 8mm cord with a revolver on one end and a termination on the other along with a mallion with a 5-6mm small prussik. You would climb the tree as normal setting your TIP and when it came time to set a quick redirect chuck one end of the 8mm cord through a high crotch above you, clip your climb line to the revolver (lanyarded in of course) slacken off your climb line, hoist it up to the crotch and tie the other end off or use the mallion with the prussik to lock it off. And hey presto you have your redirect. It might sound like a lot but realistically its not and could save a lot of effort setting up a quick redirect.

I'm gonna knock one up tomorrow and take a few pics to give you guys a better visual.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That sounds like a brilliant idea! Iv been trying to over come the issue of a retrievable redirect, sounds like you've cracked it! I look forward to seeing your rig. I might have a go at knocking something up myself and trying it out next week. Let me know how you get on!

...So what I am thinking is an 8m long bit of 8mm cord with a revolver on one end and a termination on the other along with a mallion with a 5-6mm small prussik. You would climb the tree as normal setting your TIP and when it came time to set a quick redirect chuck one end of the 8mm cord through a high crotch above you, clip your climb line to the revolver (lanyarded in of course) slacken off your climb line, hoist it up to the crotch and tie the other end off or use the mallion with the prussik to lock it off. And hey presto you have your redirect. It might sound like a lot but realistically its not and could save a lot of effort setting up a quick redirect...

That sounds like it will be worth trying but heads-up on a couple of things. If I am understanding what you described correctly, the redirect point will be under more load, like a base tie. Also, by running the climbing line through the Revolver, you will be adding pull-back/lateral force, so it will not be loaded in compression. Add these two together and a redirect that would have supported you with a static choked-off line, may not.

Please disregard if I misinterpreted what you are trying to do.