Retiring harness

likeitorlumpit

Originally Posted by kev7937

I thought all climbing equipment only had a 5 year shelf life and cannot pass a loler test if older than that.

there is NO five year rule, it is the manufacture that decides how long they will last. some olny give items six months use and it could be worn out, others things could go on for 9 years, which is why you 'the user' needs the little card (or just the info)that comes with all your ppe, so you know what to look for when you do you pre-climb inspection

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been told by a few people that Petzl have extended the lifespan guarantee of some of their equipment to 10 years. But I suppose thats always going to depend upon condition and the amount of use it's had.

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=121498

Quite a few blokes at work have them and love them, plus I hear that petzel have just put a ten year warrenty across the range, I use a TM but there only good for 3 months hard use apparently

as for the side Ds they are fine as long as you attach to the bridge 15+15=30,

not sure about the screws not a fan myself, but harness have had bridges attached to screws gates for years, its something that puts me off the tree flex. but I'm told it's fine as long as you locktite them after 3 uses. but don't quote me on that

Support:*Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) | Petzl

9. What is the lifetime of my Petzl equipment?

For plastic or textile products, the maximum lifetime is ten years from the date of manufacture (See: How can I find out the age of my Petzl PPE?.)

The lifespan of metal products is not limited.

Warning: An unusual event may require you to retire a product after only one use. This may involve the type and intensity of use, or the environment in which it is used: aggressive environments, sharp aretes, extreme temperatures, chemicals...

To learn more, consult the inspection advice page for PPE.

► back to top

10. When should I retire my equipment?

A product must be retired when:

It is over 10 years old and made of plastic or textiles

It has been subjected to a major fall or load

It fails to pass inspection

Its reliability is in question

Its entire history is not known (e.g. found or second-hand product)

When it becomes obsolete due to changes in legislation, standards, technique or incompatibility with other equipment, etc.

Destroy retired equipment to prevent further use. To learn more, consult the inspection advice page for PPE.

► back to top

Had my weavers for just over 5 years did very well tough as old boots I'd lowered off the side ds, odd bit of baler twine made it last a couple more months till I got a petzl sequoia had that 4 years and the bridge and several others bits had pretty much worn through now use stein vega.