storage

Stephen Blair

I have used these;

http://www.bagsupplies.com/ventedlogbags.htm

It's a pity about the usual builders bags as I have an unlimited supply of black helicopter bags used to ship stone for footpath repair on the fells - 1 trip then they're replaced.

I had them stacked on pallets (2 high) under a tarp to half height (a little lower on the main weather side) and it all dried nicely. Handy size - roughly a cubic metre each so that's the basic unit of sale now. Thought they would rip, but non yet, and the bale grab used to hold them open under the processor has given them a good test due to driver error!

Downside is that they come in at about £5-6 each (at last check), in bales of 20. Then delivery on top from Penrith, North Lakes.

Put it this way, when the cash flow picks up I'll be getting some more and stacking the barn three high till no more fit in:thumbup1:

Edited by treedave

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mouldy?? what your customers doing with them, eating them or burning them??:001_tongue:

seriously though i use those bags and have now gone away from them to using rylock fencing on pallets...personal choice

do you mean the sheep fencing stuff, do you cut and make squares or just make them round? any pics?:001_smile:

some one pm me the other day for that too

a customers old man built it for him as he was pretty handy and as a one off, he reconned it would cost around 300-350 quid. apprently the rolling was not cheap

have looked into getting some built but not many fabricators are that keen to do it

did think of a couple to be built to spell WOOD

if you could make them for the customer, then you will soon sell them plenty of logs. i would love to offer the whole package. from chimney check to instalation of log burner to firewood. not interested in doing it all myself, just getting the right tradesman lined up to offer the service.:001_smile:

I posted this on the thread "wet wood"

when i lived in Norway we use to pack firewood in nets on Euro pallets using a steel frame that fitted over the pallet and stretched the net open. It was a realy good system for storing and drying firewood the pallet alows air to pass under the wood so it drys from all sides

To keep it dry we stacked them 3 high in a square of nine palletswith air space in between in a clearing in the wood next to the farm. Then we over layed corrigated roffing tin on top to keep the rain off and then we droped some big logs on top to stop the tins blowing off. Becuase it was in a clearing the wind did not blow rain in from the side because it was quite sheltered.

The system work well over thier however the stacks were covered in snow for 6 months of the year so i dont know how well it would work well over heer.

you can get this system from these people

http://www.storesacksystems.co.uk/products.html

I use 3m vented bulk bags they are from http://www.sgbaker.co.uk/ they are realy good and i have no mouldy logs. I can stack them 3 high on pallets it increase air flow. I am fortunate that i have a dutch barn to store my bags in though which is half the battle

if you could make them for the customer, then you will soon sell them plenty of logs. i would love to offer the whole package. from chimney check to instalation of log burner to firewood. not interested in doing it all myself, just getting the right tradesman lined up to offer the service.:001_smile:

cant keep up with demand as it is now.

that chain happens here now and i am the end guy with the wood.

although the coal men are now chimney sweeps and stove repair guys now too, just waiting for them to start tarmacing drives aswell:sneaky2: