Ganoderma on Beech

benedmonds

• 2 weeks later...

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1368046997.078291.jpg.9b09a1fa50fa0fc765df88b7142079a0.jpg

This roadside sycamore(un reduced) was hollow, you could look down in the cavity on the stem & see daylight at the buttresses.

IIRC the picus showed less than than 80/20 t/r. With the buttress issues as well the call on the day was......

...monolith just above cavity.

Shame I didn't get pics of the picus on screen, it was an RFS outing to demo it's capabilities amongst other things.

It showed a big black shadow, & it was nice to be able to 'calibrate' this with looking inside the trunk.

I wouldn't want my kids playing out in the wind at that nursery, yet :-o .

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1368046852.852235.jpg.9d2a62ac8d5a46f9a26096888ba5d991.jpg

When's the fell then Ben? Lol

Were the readings above & below the brackets I take it?

What did the report recommend?

Thanks for posting.

Conrad

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

ditto, thanks for posting that up, looks pretty good if you ask me, considering, what I mean is its salvagable

Edited by Tony Croft aka hamadryad

ditto, thanks for posting that up, looks pretty good if you ask me, considering, what I mean is its salvagable
Yes, circumferential continuity is what is key. Colors can be changed by the software; very misleading. :001_huh:

Where in the world do these ratios come from? .3, 80/20...there is very little science behind these, and what there is makes clear that they do not apply to trees bigger than 30". :blushing:

Hollowing is a natural process, as waste products in heartwood are shed. Many old trees are hollow, and standing. Counting and measuring the intact buttresses assesses stability.

On the sycamore, interesting that a girdling root affects the decayed portion.

Edited by treeseer

... at the end of the day whatever tool is used when the final assessment confirmation is made before the fell call a increment core is/should be taken to confirm findings and or evaluate residual wood strength and decay type via a fractometer.

I'm interested in this Tony - have you used a fractometer to ascertain wood strength?

In my experience (which is mostly academic with regards to the fractometer:blushing:) the readings given are highly variable even along a single core. More fundamentally, I think it can be difficult to know how to use the information gained...the moment of the core breaking is measured as a 'fractometer unit' which should be compared to tables published by the inventor.

When I have used one the readings I have got where substantially different from those in the table...and I wondered how reliable the published values were for a "standard" tree of that species.

Sorry, slight derail from the thread...thanks to the OP for bringing a good real-life example of a tricky tree management issue. All good learning fodder.

I'm interested in this Tony - have you used a fractometer to ascertain wood strength?

In my experience (which is mostly academic with regards to the fractometer:blushing:) the readings given are highly variable even along a single core. More fundamentally, I think it can be difficult to know how to use the information gained...the moment of the core breaking is measured as a 'fractometer unit' which should be compared to tables published by the inventor.

When I have used one the readings I have got where substantially different from those in the table...and I wondered how reliable the published values were for a "standard" tree of that species.

Sorry, slight derail from the thread...thanks to the OP for bringing a good real-life example of a tricky tree management issue. All good learning fodder.

I have only limited experience of actual wood testing, using the Fracto II. Its true that much work is required to refine the data tables for comparisoms to be drawn, but its al relative really, after all your testing one tree, you only have to take a healthy core from say a branch or nieghbour to compare. Even if no comparison sample was avaliable one can use the manual (hand) test to evaluate the wood sample, either way, you get to see the state of the wood, for reall and under a microscope if you have one.

I intend to get a fracto II as soon as possible, its a shame its an expensive item, it would be a big thing to get as many arbs as possible adding to a data set, but at 1700 plus a borer at around 3-500 its not an essential!

i think its an essential, but you know what I mean, not shiny enough me thinks:lol:

I got a lovely core from a fistulina (brown oak) last year

I intend to get a fracto II as soon as possible, its a shame its an expensive item, it would be a big thing to get as many arbs as possible adding to a data set, but at 1700 plus a borer at around 3-500 its not an essential!

i think its an essential, but you know what I mean, not shiny enough me thinks:lol:

I got a lovely core from a fistulina (brown oak) last year

I used one once and found it rather clumsy. There's a lot of good data to be had from the core by handling it, checking anatomy, the smells...

• 7 years later...