550xp Bar size?

Tommy Hutchinson

1.I hear that you should not use a 18inch bar on the 550xp?

2. If the 550xp is not suited mechanically to a 18inch bar, why would Husqvarna specify that you can use a 18inch bar on the 550xp?

3.Has any one got any reasons why you would not want to run an 18inch bar on a 550xp? If there are any reasons for not using an 18 inch bar, what evidence or testing is there to back these reasons/theories ?

Thanks

Tom

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2. If the 550xp is not suited mechanically to a 18inch bar, why would Husqvarna specify that you can use a 18inch bar on the 550xp?

3.Has any one got any reasons why you would not want to run an 18inch bar on a 550xp? If there are any reasons for not using an 18 inch bar, what evidence or testing is there to back these reasons/theories ?

Thanks

Tom

I wouldn't want to use an 18" bar on a 550 because I suspect it would feel awful. It's a 50cc saw, designed to be light, flickable and nicely balanced. If I needed an 18" bar, I'd be reaching for a bigger saw.

Husky say about using a 24" bar on a 372 - IMO 20" is as big as it wants and even then it's only if I have to.

I'm sure either saw will pull the biggest bars it lists for them, but at the expense of balance and cutting speed if at full bar length.

They probably list the bigger bars because it makes it sound more impressive, but just cos it says it in the catalogue, doesn't mean it will work well in the real world :001_smile:

Edited by Chris Sheppard

Quite simply because 50cc saws haven't got quite enough power/torque to pull an 18" bar through bar length wood. Even 60cc isn't quite the ticket. For 18" i would go for 70cc minimum otherwise it gets tedious trying to get through large logs.

I run an 18" occasionally and can honestly say its fine, cuts faster than and copes better than a 341 running a 16" bar. All down to personal preference I think, if you don't fancy running an 18 on the 550 then fair enough but it will run it fine and is still a light and well balanced, that's just my opinion though. If you search YouTube there is a yank running a 562 xp (60cc) with 34" I believe and it works fine.

Thanks

Tom

mate, do you even no about CODIT, axium of uniform stress, reaction wood, fungal vectors and cellular structures, let alone mycelium and mhychorizal associations

Is having a 18inch on a 550xp the equivlant of having a an 48inch on a Stihl 880

I think what we are getting at is that it is more efficent and gives the chain faster mps around the bar when using the smaller bars.

I have a 13 and 15 inch bar for the 550xp and will purchase a 18inch just to see how it handels it. :)

i dont mind the 550 on 15" running a 13" at the minute but might go back to 15" but i am tempted to try 18" to see the differance but if i am cross cutting all the time then it a bigger saw but for felling i like a light weight saw and it would also save some bending when cross cutting smaller stuff as i am over 6'

Edited by NI Tree