Rigging line out of reach

TKO

I guess you're talking about the Ropetek Sidewinder?? I believe that the thread is called "The Sidewinder Way"?? I haven't seen many videos of it but what I have seen looks very impressive and in a neat little package too! I have a 7m short line and a 3m Steel Core Flipling so I am not in the need of it at the minute but if you are looking into a new flipline/short line then take a look. Nice piece of kit in my mind.

Jake

you could always replace the fat max measuring tape for a spring loaded fly fishing reel, you will fit more line on then should you need it. They have been used before in tree to tree throw lining but would also work well for this application.

you could always replace the fat max measuring tape for a spring loaded fly fishing reel, you will fit more line on then should you need it. They have been used before in tree to tree throw lining but would also work well for this application.

That's a sweet idea! Thats my only concern with the fatmax now, although i havent come across a rigging situation it couldnt handle since making it a few weeks ago.

to be honest i Didn't even know retractable fly fishing reels existed, do you have any idea on price or where to go online for one? Definitely interested in replacing the fatmax if it can provide more line with a similar level of ruggedness.

Haven't looked to see where you can get them from online but they are out there, they look similar to a loggers tape only have a button to press when you want to retract it. I dare say a loggers tape would also work well and be a bit more robust. Check out this video which shares the same concept with the throwline storage. I like your idea using it for rigging line retrieval. I knew a really old school climber who would have a figure of 8, (non rescue type without the ears) permanently threaded onto his rigging line with the small hole that didn't pass over the carabiner on the end of the rigging rope, he then had a light line tied to the big hole end which he kept with him as he climbed to be able to pull the rope back.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuCF7ENOG1Y]Rope Shackle for Arborist Throw Line - YouTube[/ame]

I need this tool as well. In the past tying a retrieval line to the rigging rope has gotten me in a jam with twisting around the limb or wood and then into the understory. I think the Grapnel would make a good long reach tool and especially with a retractor mechanism. Just throw it out to catch and retrieve the line with out being committed to the rig.

Tree Stuff - New Tribe Yella Grapnel

Ha! Ha! Have wanted the spring loaded Fly Reel or chalkline for some time. Acquired the parts and they sat for months. Just got prompted by a post elsewhere and finished them both in a short time.

Used Fly Reel was $12 on ebay (seems like I will have to be careful not to bang it around too much). 55 ft.+/- on my reel of some thinner line, 65ft. +/- of 1.7 dyneema on my ’75 ft’ chalkline. Diff. gear ratios on the chalk lines-mine is 6 to 1 and seems ok.

I am looking forward to not having to fight and struggle and climb extra to retrieve rigging line with the terminal rigging point set 25 feet to the side of me.