Rigging line out of reach

TKO

You know what? I now understand what everyone is on about.

A line with a carabiner attached to the branch/log end of the lowering rope so he can pull it back after it has been released.

Am I right?

Yeh I think that's what he means.

I have been using that technique for a while now but i wanted to significantly weaken the link between me and the piece being lowered in case somehow it ripped me from my work position.

I have also been using a sling to choke it to a local area in the tree in order to isolate myself from the system. But it has to be frequently relocated.

Although i found this technique of having another line in the tree convoluted things.

Still a good solution to the problem though!

Yeh I think that's what he means.

I have been using that technique for a while now but i wanted to significantly weaken the link between me and the piece being lowered in case somehow it ripped me from my work position.

I have also been using a sling to choke it to a local area in the tree in order to isolate myself from the system. But it has to be frequently relocated.

Although i found this technique of having another line in the tree convoluted things.

Still a good solution to the problem though!

You can get chainsaw lanyards which are designed to break if your saw gets caught in the cut, this may serve as a weak link for attaching the lead to your harness? I'm not sure how much force is required to break them.

As he said but iv never found a krab being dragged down with the piece. There is no resistance on the karabiner unless the dog lead runs out of line or it gets snagged on something when it swings. If your unsure then tie lead to the stem then worse case you won't get pulled about.

That's good to hear it runs well. I was more concerned that it would just break the line or the device. But to be honest, part of the reason I am making it like I am is to ensure that the device fails first before unsettling the climber, should something go wrong.

Depending on the angle of the gangle...

Get the groundie to untie the piece and clip a krab (if your using 1) to your climbing line. Hold the tail of the climbing line taught and then pull the working end of the rigging line.

The rigging line will zip up to you... just be careful the groundie don't pull too hard on your climbing line and pull you off your perch if you are in a precarious position.

Nothing wrong with stein gear, just a few people get a bee in their bonnet about things, and others jump on the bandwagon. I have plenty of stein stuff and can't honestly think of anything to complain about

I've had a jacket, leaked endlessly, sent it back and they denied my claim, 2 days after it was back i got soaked through.

Bought a Stein grinder guard recently and one of the welds on the bottom bracing bar broke within 2 hours of use.

A climbing a use bought a throw line cube, stitching has come off leaving one of the flex supports poking out.

Another chap i work for bought a Stein bag which fell to bits and the zips failed.

As was said "Friends don't let friends use Stein".

People get my honest opinion of their gear, the grinder guards were their last chance with me. (They were a last ditch option anyway - i did wonder how badly they could make something so simple!)

just be careful the groundie don't pull too hard on your climbing line and pull you off your perch if you are in a precarious position.

that wont happen ccoz he will have a second anchor point wont he :biggrin:

No, why would he? If he's finished the cut he may be moving to the next work position. Or he could have chosen not to place a second anchor?