Petzl issue notice to stop using ZigZag

gustharts

I can see a new karabiner being designed especially for the ZZ !

Thats the only way I can see them getting out of this unscathed, a new captive eye type karabiner, free to everyone who bought a ZZ, and included in the sale of ZZ's from now on.

I was just thinking the same thing. But really the rubber thingies should do the same thing really wouldn't they. I've never used them so not sure how reliable they are.

Another thing I was wondering about. Have any strength tests been done on a hitchclimber for example. If the top hole got cross loaded in the same way, surely it's possible that it would be considerably weaker than the rating that it has under a normal straight load.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking about the two rubbers. But they would have to fix them so people can't not put them on.

No, otherwise they would have to come and do up our karabiners etc. for us. As long as they supply something it will be ok.

I agree, it probably will just be rubbers. I have been using rubbers on the harness attachment krab cos that was always sliding sideways, will be happy to use them on the top one too if thats what they come up with, but its a bit lame IMO. Not using it at all for now.

Re: Hitchclimber. Same could go for all other petzl products aswell. Handled ascenders for a start?

In all literature though it does so no cross loading krabs, (usually because the strength of the krab is reduced) so we kind of all know that we mustnt cross load stuff, although the poor guy being taught has found out the hardway, so this could be called operator error, but 4kn is woefull!!!!!!

A cross loaded biner with the gate open is stronger than that!

But even then, you still have to create 4kn. So there are a lot of things that have to go wrong all at once to break the ZZ. Just amazing that it happened so soon.

I'm really gutted!

Not looking forward to going back to the hitch climber, even though i used to love it, i've been using the hc on my positioning strop and zz on my main line and thought to myself i would never go back! :(

Hope they don't take long with a solution!!