the smell of wood

canoehead

ring barked some larch several years ago and then was sent to fell them 20 monthes later the timber above the ring was fine but where we was cutting below decay had set in, called at kentucy on way home and the people in the que in front of us kept looking round at us, it wasent till i got home canged boots and pants went to price a job and returned home to a fowl smell in the house, i was looking all over for where the dog had crapped but found nothing , then picked saw pants up to hang on door and all came to light the bottom half of the legs along with boots stank of what i can only describe as the worst dog shit smell on earth, the morning after the other guys on site mentioned it one said he went round house checking all the bottoms of foot wear, and the other guy had got in his van then got out as he thought something was dead in there,

ring barked some larch several years ago and then was sent to fell them 20 monthes later the timber above the ring was fine but where we was cutting below decay had set in, called at kentucy on way home and the people in the que in front of us kept looking round at us, it wasent till i got home canged boots and pants went to price a job and returned home to a fowl smell in the house, i was looking all over for where the dog had crapped but found nothing , then picked saw pants up to hang on door and all came to light the bottom half of the legs along with boots stank of what i can only describe as the worst dog shit smell on earth, the morning after the other guys on site mentioned it one said he went round house checking all the bottoms of foot wear, and the other guy had got in his van then got out as he thought something was dead in there,

Happened to me. Checked everyone’s soles etc. Got into bed that night discovered I’d had a wet fart

42 minutes ago, se7enthdevil said:

there are lots of oily woods around so could be one of hundreds.

I understand.

Here’s What I meant 

The SpiderJack brake lever is made of pock wood, an especially hard and oily wood. Most of the precious pock wood comes from Central America, traded only under strict legal control. Its botanical name is Guajacum. Depending on its geopgraphical origins, Guajacum carries additional names like coulteri (Mexico) or officinale (Antilles). In Europe the name „pock wood“ derives from the times, when its resin was used in the fight against pox. Because of its high proportion of oil and its great density, pock wood is a well known natural product featuring an outstanding abrasion resistance. Even the drive shafts of steam ships were mounted on pock wood. It is well known, wood is a poor conductor of heat, even more so with pock wood. So naturally, controlling a rope with the SpiderJack‘s pock wood brake conducts very little heat.

40B6702D-CC41-45E9-B09D-8FC0A05126E2.jpeg

1 hour ago, Rough Hewn said:

I've had sweet chestnut smell of banana,
Had two different magnolias, one smelt lovely and citrusy, the other smelled of er... spaff.
Nasty.

I had some banana smell of sweet chestnut,  Weird innit ?  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Darrin Turnbull said:

I understand.

Here’s What I meant 

The SpiderJack brake lever is made of pock wood, an especially hard and oily wood. Most of the precious pock wood comes from Central America, traded only under strict legal control. Its botanical name is Guajacum. Depending on its geopgraphical origins, Guajacum carries additional names like coulteri (Mexico) or officinale (Antilles). In Europe the name „pock wood“ derives from the times, when its resin was used in the fight against pox. Because of its high proportion of oil and its great density, pock wood is a well known natural product featuring an outstanding abrasion resistance. Even the drive shafts of steam ships were mounted on pock wood. It is well known, wood is a poor conductor of heat, even more so with pock wood. So naturally, controlling a rope with the SpiderJack‘s pock wood brake conducts very little heat.

40B6702D-CC41-45E9-B09D-8FC0A05126E2.jpeg

that is indeed lignum vitae.

they say it's oily but that is somewhat misleading as the tremendous weight of the wood actually comes from what is called Guaiac resin inside the timber which is formed of a combination of oils and waxes but mostly waxes i believe. this accounts for over 25% of the weight of it.

interesting to see that the wood does still get used for practical applications such as this.