441 cuts out when cold.

pault

This may be obviouse to most of you so i apologize. Go easy on me. I was tuning up all my saws today and my new 441 starts fine from cold but as soon as the throttle is pressed it cuts out. I have tried letting it warm up on idle and its fine then. Have checked and cleaned air filter, checked spark plug etc etc. It is still on the tuned settings from the shop. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Dont want to start fiddling around with it until i know a bit more.

Thanks in advance :001_smile:

How old is it ? if not that old just take it back . If you have had it for a long time / its done a bit , could be a number of things . The idle circuit is working ok obviously but the other jets could be out of adjustment . Air filter could be blocked . Tank vent could be blocked throttle linkage could be a problem , plug could be at fault , . Try the gauze filter in the carb , sounds like there might be some crud in there . Garden or Spud will be along soon to sort it !

Ok. So reading this its sounds like its not running up unless its warmed up a bit, sound like excessive fuel on high. Not burning the excess until its up to temp.

Try the high screw. See if its set right. Could try leaning it off a bit.

SOunds like th eL screw is a little lean and only works when the saw has a bit of warmth in it.

The 346/357 saws are like this and bog on the first three or so grabs at the throttle but pick up well soon after.

Try giving the L screw 1/8 - 1/4 turn out (counterclockwise) and adjust the idle up a tad to compensate as the revs will drop with the richer mix.

You may have other issues - the sparkplug colour should be a nice coffee tan colour - any deviation to this - especially white and you need some expert help as you may have an air leak but would think a lean L screw is most likely.

Sorry to contradict others but say as I would do.

If the saw is excessivly smokey when cold it may be an over rich mix - but less likely IMO.

SOunds like th eL screw is a little lean and only works when the saw has a bit of warmth in it.

The 346/357 saws are like this and bog on the first three or so grabs at the throttle but pick up well soon after.

Try giving the L screw 1/8 - 1/4 turn out (counterclockwise) and adjust the idle up a tad to compensate as the revs will drop with the richer mix.

You may have other issues - the sparkplug colour should be a nice coffee tan colour - any deviation to this - especially white and you need some expert help as you may have an air leak but would think a lean L screw is most likely.

Sorry to contradict others but say as I would do.

If the saw is excessivly smokey when cold it may be an over rich mix - but less likely IMO.

Cheers for the replies guys. Yeah my 346 is a big sluggish when starting from cold but quickly warms up. Ill give the 441 a wee tune tomorrow and see what she is like. The spark plug is a healthy colour so i guess it a case of turning the L screw a wee bit. I thought it was most likely that but like i said didnt want to start tweaking until i had some feedback.

Cheers again guys.:thumbup: