What to use as chip box sides?

Coletti

As some of you may know I'm currently modding a trailer to suit my needs and I've hit a bit of a wall where the chip box sides are concerned, I had thought about .9mm aluminium plate mounted in a steel frame but have been informed that it'll corrode in no time due to dirt and grime from the road, steel is pretty much out of the question I think due to weight and how long it'll last so I thought I would consult the bible of knowledge that is arbtalk and see what ideas/suggestions other people have, the main criteria is that it must be as light as possible

Aluminium plank is probably the easiest stuff to use, but its not cheap.

If you use ally sheet then 2mm minimum really, anything less will just get bashed. Ideally get a fabricator to fold a profile up for you.

As for corrosion, there are plenty of ali truck bodies on the road.

Will take all that into consideration thanks Peter an thanks for your input. Had thought about the planking but can't seem to find anywhere to get it from, does anyone know where I can get it from and a rough price for a plank?

If you use aluminium body on a steel frame you will get corrosion. The aluminium will react with the steel and fall apart. Throw some winter grit spray from the roads onto it and it will fall apart pretty quick.

We used to use galvanized steel sheet for making trailer sides and repairs to dumptrucks and the like. I can't remeber the sizing of it, but was about the size of a sheet of plywood and about 2mm thick. I had a trailer which lasted around 10 years with this stuff.

Edited by nooie