Processing driftwood!

timberbear

yeah, that was the promise, but it never happened:sneaky2:

Sounds familiar, a lot of the kit I snagged for didn't stay running past 4 years, often because no one had consulted the people that would have to run the thing and they got bloodyminded.

I too had an instance where a chip reception bay was wrong, it was sited next to a wall so the truck would have struck the wall as it started tipping.

• 6 years later...

4 hours ago, logedd in said:

I sometimes burn driftwood and its fine but wonder if its safe or a bit toxic what with all the salt in it

I have seen  websites saying to avoid this as the chlorine from the sea salt can react with the long chain carbohydrates in the wood and form dioxins. I don't believe this as I don't think the temperatures are high enough  to split the salt molecule  for the chloride ion then to find two partially oxidise benzene rings to recombine with. I can see a route to produce dioxins from inadequate combustion of a chlorinated benzene ring, like PVC or neoprene.

2 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

Driftwood from the Sea will rot your stove and the flue liner (if you have one) Best avoided. 

I'd like to hear your reason for this?

I'd think  it unwise to leave the ash from burning driftwood in contact with any metal as the salt will be hygroscopic and salt and moisture  acts as  catalyst in the oxidation of iron.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, openspaceman said:

I have seen  websites saying to avoid this as the chlorine from the sea salt can react with the long chain carbohydrates in the wood and form dioxins. I don't believe this as I don't think the temperatures are high enough  to split the salt molecule  for the chloride ion then to find two partially oxidise benzene rings to recombine with. I can see a route to produce dioxins from inadequate combustion of a chlorinated benzene ring, like PVC or neoprene.

I'd like to hear your reason for this?

I'd think  it unwise to leave the ash from burning driftwood in contact with any metal as the salt will be hygroscopic and salt and moisture  acts as  catalyst in the oxidation of iron.

Its what Ive been told by numerous Chimney Sweeps who have seen direct evidence of this. Ive not witnessed it personally so I can only go on others advice. 

Ive also been told not to drink bleach. Now Ive clearly not done this myself but I will trust the experts opinion and not test it to see if its in fact correct. Same goes for burning Drift wood. 

3 hours ago, sandspider said:

I know that sea water driftwood burns with odd coloured flames due to salt & chemicals in it. Not sure I'd want to burn it in a stove myself...

No from what I said above I don't think it wise to burn in a stove because of the effect on the stove but see no problem in burning it on a camp fire at the sea side.