Post borer

Guss109

I'm getting a run of fences recently and there all a fair size. Now I normally use a petrol borer for the holes but one is 40 posts and I'm looking at one tomorrow which will be around 60 posts maybe:sneaky2: so got me thinking about hiring a mini digger with the borer on it. So guess my question is is it worth it and does it make the job easier?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm getting a run of fences recently and there all a fair size. Now I normally use a petrol borer for the holes but one is 40 posts and I'm looking at one tomorrow which will be around 60 posts maybe:sneaky2: so got me thinking about hiring a mini digger with the borer on it. So guess my question is is it worth it and does it make the job easier?

Hell yes ! :001_smile:

Defiently and defiantly, its the man that never gets tired, last one I hired I was digging into solid chalk and it bored the holes at 2ft @ 6in with ease

I have one on a mini. It is a most excellant piece of kit and will speed up the job no end and take the sweat out of it,

With tree roots it does tend to do one of 3 things, break small roots up fine, deflect off the root and take the path of least resistance or it its a root of 3-4 inches it,all just screw past it but it won,t break it up. Large rocks or rubble can be a bit of a pain if they are too large for the auger to carry it out of the hole, one bloke operating the digger and the other stand by the hole and make sure your drilling straight and also remove any large stones.

I have one on a mini. It is a most excellant piece of kit and will speed up the job no end and take the sweat out of it,

With tree roots it does tend to do one of 3 things, break small roots up fine, deflect off the root and take the path of least resistance or it its a root of 3-4 inches it,all just screw past it but it won,t break it up. Large rocks or rubble can be a bit of a pain if they are too large for the auger to carry it out of the hole, one bloke operating the digger and the other stand by the hole and make sure your drilling straight and also remove any large stones.

:thumbup: sounds the way forward now to find a hire co that has one at a decent price. If it all goes reasonably smooth how many posts do you reckon can be done in a day?

Depends on your method of erecting ut to make use of the machine whilst its on hire if you line up and mark all the holes you,all fly along.

I did a job for a fencing contractor the other day to bore out 25meters worth of post and rail at 1.8meter centers. It was compacted shillet and I had unloaded the machine drilled all the holes and loaded the machine back up in less then an hour.

I reckon in those conditions it would have taken more like 5 hours to dig by hand.

Depends on your method of erecting ut to make use of the machine whilst its on hire if you line up and mark all the holes you,all fly along.

I did a job for a fencing contractor the other day to bore out 25meters worth of post and rail at 1.8meter centers. It was compacted shillet and I had unloaded the machine drilled all the holes and loaded the machine back up in less then an hour.

I reckon in those conditions it would have taken more like 5 hours to dig by hand.

At around £80 a day, its a no brainer really.:thumbup1: