Do I buy a chipper??

Arb123

I think ill try buyin one on the book. Last thing I want to do is spend 3k on a rust bucket and spend the money that would of gone on a decent one repairing it. You only get what you pay for and all that! Now the choice on what to go for?!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

My local garden machinery hires out a 6" tinberwolf for £70. I can pick it up in the morning (a bit of a nuisance) and drop it back the next morning this means you don't have to pay finance,insurance, sharpen the blades and maintenance and all the rest of it. To be honest the sort of work I'm getting at the moment rarely needs a chipper and as such I'm considering selling mine freeing up some money to spend on more needed machinery and just hire as and when I need to, the job should pay for the hire costs.

I have just done my Lantra Wood Chipper course today. The Instructor was telling us how he purchased a chipper and within 5 months it had paid for itself, by (1) less trips to the tip with brash and having to pay to dump it (2) selling the wood chip as garden mulch (3) doing more jobs per day etc.

I do understand all about business expenses, using Finance as a tool and also about preferring to pay cash for something.... been there done that.

I am in the middle on this one, my trusted old chipper(A521, 5yrs+) died recently as some peeps know.

I pondered over the options. £21k for new machine or properly reconditioned one for £9500. (A530)

Business been slow for last 5 months but just picked up again.

Which would you take?

I took the cheaper option but still not sure i took the right decision but then it was only 4 days downtime and no finance and its got to return over 4 yrs whereas a new one would need to do ten.

I am in the middle on this one, my trusted old chipper(A521, 5yrs+) died recently as some peeps know.

I pondered over the options. £21k for new machine or properly reconditioned one for £9500. (A530)

Business been slow for last 5 months but just picked up again.

Which would you take?

I took the cheaper option but still not sure i took the right decision but then it was only 4 days downtime and no finance and its got to return over 4 yrs whereas a new one would need to do ten.

Not necessarily, after 3 years a new one will still have considerable value, so it can be chopped in for another new one, its possible to be paying the same amount each month and always have a machine that under three years old.

Not necessarily, after 3 years a new one will still have considerable value, so it can be chopped in for another new one, its possible to be paying the same amount each month and always have a machine that under three years old.

Next time i will probably be ready for that . i only had 3k to spend for an antique last time, and that hurt at the time and i got lucky. Also it only does about 3 days a week and usually smallish domestic works so only runs for about an hour.

I think when it comes to machinery, you either buy used and then run that machine into the ground or if you buy new keep updating so that the new machine never loses too much value. I get quite sentimental with machinery they become old friends so unless its a complete non runner or as good as Id prefer to just keep repairing it to keep the show on the road.

from my experience with having items of kit on HP, id just say, that you should defiantly read the terms and conditions of payment.

I have alway tried to buy all my plant from my own funds, however, i did have an instance once where, when I bought a new chipper, I paid the vat and half the value of the machine and took the rest over two years only to find out that the company who supplied the finance on behalf of Orange plant took yearly sums from my account, the company apparently claimed that it was some kind of perk, taken from the customer for how ever many years I had the machine after the sum was settled, for setting up the deal, the only way I got out of it was once I sold the machine 5 years later,

this seemed really unfair and a crappy way to sting the client for extra funds.

I'd get a loan and get new one u will find it more than pay for its self and ad value to your business :)

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

This one just come out of the paint shop with new wiring loom, sensors all bearings new, dodgy jensen drawbar replaced with better! under 750kg feeds lot better than old one and meets current hse requirments.

should last me 4-5yrs and still worth 2-3 grand afterwards.