Accidents at work

alistairmagee

Jonnyvine, I dont beven know you and your so quick to judge a book my its cover, one accident in 14 years of tree work and you think it ok to pull holes out of someone!

The only person who isn't acting like a pro, is you!

Is your life so crap that you have to be so negative? if you feel like you have some thing to prove, then pop along to the next Uk tree climbing comps and enter.....

we would all love to get some new faces this year, you would be very welcome and we can chat a bit then.

In the mean time, I wish you the best.

Alistair.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair Alistair, you judged me I seem to remember 😉 never been a subby I think was what you said, not word for word, so it runs both ways.

Not all of us who climb for a living get much out of the comps. I have been to two but only to catch up with friends. It might be heresy but the comps themselves don't do much for me.

Also, your opening line was; I've opened this thread to see if anyone has any opinions.......... Johns and I have a different opinion to you obviously so are you now saying you only want the opinions that show this in a positive light?

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Edited by Taupotreeman

To be fair Alistair, you judged me I seem to remember 😉 never been a subby I think was what you said, not word for word, so it runs both ways.

Not all of us who climb for a living get much out of the comps. I have been to two but only to catch up with friends. It might be heresy but the comps themselves don't do much for me.

Also, your opening line was; I've opened this thread to see if anyone has any opinions.......... Johny and I have a different opinion to you obviously so are you now saying you only want the opinions that show this job in a positive light? Is my life also crap because my opinion isn't the same as yours👎

All good, we're all allowed our opinions, rightly or wrongly

fair enough everyone is allowed opinions rightly or wrongly but i think some of the replies are way below the belt, telling the guy he needs to look at his buisness model, questioning why the head of a company was doing manual work in the first place, calling the job a farce from begining to end, and Jonny vine for you to say "which brings me to believe this was not a one off fiasco, it is standard operating procedure for this crowd hence the high annual figures" ffs you dont even know the guy, it seems to me that he turned up to the job was not happy to do it so the original contractor took it upon himself to fell the tree across the road which took all responsibility off the subby, we do not know how far he had travelled to the job, so while he was there he most probably offered to help clean up, granted the guy on the saw may have been a bit careless and an accident happened, the OP did ask for opinions, but sometimes i think people need to read what theyve written before posting.

A simple risk assessment should have been carried out by all staff together on site to identify the hazards this should be read agreed and signed by all members of staff.

If the job changes in anyway i.e the tree becoming hung up, if it had been agreed to be felled then this should have been noted and reassessed.

There has obviously been a massive communication issue on this job which sounds to have been horribly rushed and in my personal opinion if you take it to court you will probably recieve a payout. I do feel sorry for your situation however there are many issues here which I could carry on typing for hours explaining that you really need to look at your health and safety policy.

It's very hard to turn round and say no to someone and fair enough you did with regard to you not climbing the tree but quite simply you shouldn't have stayed on the site and just walked away from the whole job.

P.s

I stumbled across this thread and wasn't going to comment. I don't intend on coming back to it. Peace and love to all you guys. Especially the ones doing it safely.

fair enough everyone is allowed opinions rightly or wrongly but i think some of the replies are way below the belt, telling the guy he needs to look at his buisness model, questioning why the head of a company was doing manual work in the first place, calling the job a farce from begining to end, and Jonny vine for you to say "which brings me to believe this was not a one off fiasco, it is standard operating procedure for this crowd hence the high annual figures" ffs you dont even know the guy, it seems to me that he turned up to the job was not happy to do it so the original contractor took it upon himself to fell the tree across the road which took all responsibility off the subby, we do not know how far he had travelled to the job, so while he was there he most probably offered to help clean up, granted the guy on the saw may have been a bit careless and an accident happened, the OP did ask for opinions, but sometimes i think people need to read what theyve written before posting.

Lyn

With all respect mate you are guessing, "probably did" and "apears to me" is speculation, exactly the same thing you pulled me up on but on the other side of the fence.

A risk assessment is the fundamental part of any works to a tree, and should involve everyone involved, form top to botton so that if something does go wrong then everyone knows what to do and can act, QUICKLY!

This is how Myself and thousands of others were taught, the other way raises the old saying "not if, but when", so, in my opinion it is not an accident and if Alistair did not want comments that don't comply, why make it public knowledge how negligent he had behaved in the fisrt place?

Alistair, YOU got involved in a situation that had every hallmark of turning Pear Shaped, you put your groundie in extreme danger and you illegaly blocked a road with your own vehicle, so personaly, if your able to compete again so soon You came out of this very lightly.

Dont worry too much about having had to sell the kit, you can soon buy more and its all tax deductable.

Have a prosperous year

Jonny

Jonny are you whiter than white? You sure talk like you think you are.

Why all the animosity towards the original poster? Was it you he was working for? ;)

No Rich he does not work for me and that is not animosity it is just my opinion of his original post, I certainly don't think I am whiter than white, on the contrary actualy.

If Alistair had once acknowledged that they broke every rule in the book rather than trying to capitalise from his foolishness I could have understood, the whole story dosen't add up for me and I still feel that way.

Even our local didicoy tree felling type things would have had a couple of youths with stolen stop-go lollipops on traffic duty.

Edited by JonnyVine
Spelling