Accidents at work

alistairmagee

If you we're to get solicitors involved which sounds like a good idea in this case, I would say that discussing the situation with written word may not such be a good idea. Even though one has been implicated by name. The defence will find anyway by any means they can to worm out of something.

I suspect this would not matter in court since no names were mentioned and similar case law already exist for comparison sake.

easy-lift guy

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sky hook, Ive driven into London on other occasions, to work for big tree companies who have policies where they don't climb trees if they are diseased,they use platform where possible, then they sub the work to other sub contractors like me who supply the equipment and staff to undertake the jobs they don't want to do, imagine arriving to a job thats cost you money to do before you even start and then you get there and realise the tree is so knackered that its not safe to do and the big company has nt allowed in the price for a platform, is it really an option to turn back after paying out all that money and piss off your sub contract client that spends tens of thousands of pounds with you every year. surly most people would try and find a compromise and try to do the work like I have always done.

these companies are often very accredited, since going AA approved, my whole stance on doing dangerous works has had to change, because I would be liable and responsible as the AA approved contractor who should have known better and would of been taken to the cleaners.

Ive climbed and worked on bigger and more dangerous trees that !5 -20m larch tree, my point being that is really clever to climb up it anyway, as i could of ended much worse, often as a sub contractor i do not see the job before i get there in the morning. it was guys job not mine, i simply tried to make the best of a bad situation.

ended up being worse off any way as it turned out, oh as an added bonus I dont get the 10-15 k a year from that company any more either as he now has the hump with me for making a claim against him, so actually 33k is nothing to what the figure could be.

I think it's important to have a well scripted legal contract. If additional equipment is required because the client has not factored it in then they have to pay and it should be covered in appendixs of your contract. They may through thousands your way but if at any time you or your staff have an accident because of missing equipment then who's going to lose thousands and maybe even your business and reputation.

In any other business such as building and financial services additionals would be covered and stipulated for

TBH, it sounds to me like you really need to take a look at your business model, does the fact that they are not prepared to climb it make you think? Should you not be looking at and pricing these job and taking or demanding the required equipment or TM??

To be perfectly honest I'm not should a business owner, who is taking on jobs and using their own gear should be claiming of the insurance of others.

If they have their own staff, but get you in, is it not because they need your skill to complete the task??

Savage mate I hope it all gets resolved,personally I dont expect people I sub for to be responsible for me ,as I've worked for hundreds of people and have no faith in anyone but myself .trust me there's people out there that preach,insurance ,aa , and all the trimmings but when the s**t hits the fan watch them scarper!! When I was 14 grounding for a New Zealander we were on a job in Surrey he had reduced a large holm oak and came down for lunch,stupidly after wearing a hard hat all day I decided to walk under the tree without it to collect something, a 10 ft t long branch hanger fell out the tree hit the deck and catapulted toward me cut end first,I was knocked down and got up With half my head open literally, luckily the customer let us use her vw golf to go to hospital,as we were in the unimog ,he soon left for New Zealand and I haven't seen him since,if I knew then what I know now,it would be completely different. Don't think I've been quite right since,or maybe I've always been a sandwich short of a picnic

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

I think it's important to have a well scripted legal contract. If additional equipment is required because the client has not factored it in then they have to pay and it should be covered in appendixs of your contract. They may through thousands your way but if at any time you or your staff have an accident because of missing equipment then who's going to lose thousands and maybe even your business and reputation.

In any other business such as building and financial services additionals would be covered and stipulated for

So true!

easy-lift guy