milling pics and vids

burrell_

If your log is clean, mill it.
There are plenty of rotting beech trees for free.
Spalting can look nice, but it is rot essentially.
The tree in the picture with the branches all over will produce some great grain with tension/compression etc.
Good luck
[emoji106]

• Like 1

Did this one earlier in the week. 4ft diameter.
Been left about 2 years apparently. Spalted nicely but It would of started going mushy if left any longer.
Loads of metal in it too. Picture of the two biggest bits which both came out of he same whole.
Had a stone lodged in the middle as well which means I now have to file a bit more than half the tooth off one of my chains to get it back.cdb01723157c2939f2c621a99c463ed1.jpg970b3e775aa629c34f960276ae1d4d27.jpga746cd76b241523c730c79ebb4e91356.jpg

• Like 3

Did 3 days cutting oak cladding for a customer and finished early on the third day. They had a brown oak they didn't want so I knocked a bit of money off the bill, milled it up and brought it home.

Really nice colour but photo doesn't show it. No insect attack at all. One corner had some rot but not too much. A couple of soft patches else where.

Will treat and stack tomorrow and take a couple of pics of the boards.

f2048c475b9fd06b3d213c51c93a72d7.jpg

• Like 3

Looking good, pleased you got some good stuff out of it. I have had a disastrous milling of oak with brown staining etc, but I was after big 3ft wide boards and too often was a rot patch writing that board off. Looks like you have milled it to sensible dimensions!

Plans for it?