Moto GP

Stubby

When I got stopped back in the day on my Whatever I was riding at the time the coppers always said , without fail , " who do you think you are , Barry Sheen ? " .......:001_smile:

I had that one and from older coppers it was Geoff Duke:001_smile:

Well I suppose you then get into the bigger issue of popularity of the race series. Personally, I could watch Stoner ride a motorcycle all day, on his own. He managed to do things with a bike lap in, lap out, that the rest of us can only dream of, or if we're really lucky may have managed once, and then usually totally by accident.

I don't give a jot for post race celebrations, in fact I thought Stoners quiet reserved but obvious delight within himself was very refreshing and honest. I didn't watch it to determine who had the best personality, I watched it to see phenominal riding ability allied to determination and bravery.

But then, that's me. Increasingly I realise that I simply don't fit in with the modern world so I suppose modern Moto GP is little different.

However, to put on a large sporting event these days is very expensive and the only option is to gain corporate sponsorship.

Those sponsors want exposure and a return for their investment so Lorenzo letting off fireworks, Rossi with his sometimes too large character, Simoncelli with his whacky suaveness, these are the things that draw the crowds on TV. Big TV crowds draws more sponsorship.................

I agree, it can detract from the pureism of the sport but we live in a Capitalist culture.

Look back at the Rossi / Gibernau days. Two riders on rival teams but both teams with the same headline sponsor. That was the ultimate promotional caravan for Gallouisse and they wisely spent millions to have both teams.

As a punter, I just choose to watch the talent and fury being played out on the track. The pre & post race circus is something I'll watch if I'm feeling charitable but I won't loose sleep over it.

:001_smile:

• 2 weeks later...
A bit of reality.

Firstly, there are four potential race winning bikes, two factory Yamahas and two factory Hondas. One of the Hondas is being ridden by a class rookie and no matter how good the rookie, or how good the bike, it's acknowledged that they need a season to fully get to grips with things. The other Honda is then Pedrosa, and Pedrosa will do what he's always done, be stunning and untouchable every now and again and be quite average the rest of the time. So second for Rossi on a fairly regular basis is pretty much a given, if he wants to impress properly and live up to what he's supposed to be then he needs to beat Lorenzo, and if he beats Lorenzo this year then I reckon he'll be world champion.

After the first race Lorenzo looks awesome.

And yes, Stoner on track is seriously missed. The powers that be should never have let him retire, but then they were too obsessed with Rossi and Marquess.

Marquez Wins , Pedrosa 2nd Lorenzo 3rd Great race by Cal .........

Anyone still think Marquez is going to need " a season to fully get to grips with things " ??

Fair enough, on the basis of yesterdays race he's a strong title contender.

But I still think at the end of the season it'll be Lorenzo.

Fair enough, on the basis of yesterdays race he's a strong title contender.

But I still think at the end of the season it'll be Lorenzo.

Yea. Still could be Lorenzo . I think it all depends on how many " Honda Tracks " there are against how many " Yamaha tracks " there are . Also can Yam get their bike to change gear like the Honda .