LOLER Facts.

Mesterh

To be totally honest i am sick and tired of posting views facts and advice on this subject to be ridiculed and mocked.

When will folk start to take legislation with the interest and respect it deserves (that does not mean comply)just be aware it is there and what it means to us.IT IS THERE TO HELP AND PROTECT US

I wanted this thread to just contain the facts and not have conflicting opinions that have occured in other threads about the subject.

I am sorry if anything I have said has seemed like a personal attack on you or anyone else I didnt intend it to be. :blushing:

I dont want this to be a debate on what is right or wrong about LOLER inspections I just want it to clear a few things up, and if there is anything that you think we should know I would be very happy for you to point it out :001_smile:

I didnt start out in tree work with the intention of filling in endless amounts of paper so I would rather do what was necessary by law and nothing more.

Using trained workers with the correct kit should, I would hope in a perfect world be all that was required, that and a bit of common sense.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be totally honest i am sick and tired of posting views facts and advice on this subject to be ridiculed and mocked.

When will folk start to take legislation with the interest and respect it deserves (that does not mean comply)just be aware it is there and what it means to us.IT IS THERE TO HELP AND PROTECT US

I agree with you in your entirity Bob, legislation is there to help and protect us, if only my manager and team leader would take heed of this. I would like to ask if the following is legal under the MHSWA and Loler. My manager and team leader have no qualifications in arbo at all, and they dont generaly give any direct instructions so no problems there,. But last week my team leader went and bought me two screw gate krabs (the two had been identified on the loler the day before as old and needing retiring. I was told to replace them with three way action by the assessor) so as I said he went (Team Leader) and got them and used an engraving machine to mark them up, not on the knurled lock but on the metal shank where the rope/spliced eye would sit. Then added them to the weekly inspection sheet and tried to give them to me.. I think you can guess what I told him to do?? So that is my manager and team leaders interest and respect towards Reg's and Leg's.. He didn't even know what or where they

were suposed to be used for.

bob hear hear , if like me you have had the unfortunate need to phone a mans wife and tell her notto panic but he is in hospital, and also to look at site were people as young as 27 have died and not gone home to there kids it is rather a leverling experiance, and yes treat legislation with the respect it deserves, realise that it is flexable were appropriate but ultimatly h n s law is there so people go home to their loved ones and continue to do so for a long long time

soap box over

Dean,

you are correct in your assertion, see bobs post, in my experiance if it gets as far as the hse crawling all over you for an inspection or following an accident, they are very very good at looking for what they call a safty culture and also assessing 'over and above' 'O&A' so fa as resnobly practicable.

it is easy to quote this reg that rule this requirment and that best practice, bobs word respect is a good one, so you miss a couple of morning inspections, or your loler comp person record a week late, discrepancies, if that stuff happens every inspection or every day, and there is no better or difefrant way of addressing it that shows a culture.

in my experiance it is easy to quote and shout and preach and threaten the truth is away from that and is to help and support.

lets not for get h n s punish in court if you do bad, civil claims are those to compensate one may or may not necessarily lead to the other.

does that help, im note sure?????? hope so moor loler nuggets to come.

2. Will A NPTC LOLER inspection course train you to be fully competent and at a standard that LOLER will recognise in checking all arb equipment?

NO.

let me expalin, the acop says competence is measured by practical experiaence of the gear under inspection, theoretical knowlege of the gear and its use, an ability to act without fear or favour and to down rate were appropiate.

so on the cource people are taught specifics and genneral principals, but also were there own limitations lie and when to seek help, they are told, if in doubt to with hold the item and get advice. it is a better man thAt says i dont know.

having said that when you know the physics of what is going on, the genneral principals of what happens with an item, time and exposure to kit is all you need.

so we teach you a lot but not even life will teach you all you kneed to know about life the universe and everything

cheers

kev

what does that leav now???

Nope this isnt going to be another LOLER bashing/bitching thread, well not by me anyway and I hope it will stay that way :001_smile:

I was just after some hard facts about what is right or wrong etc to help me and maybe some others who are confused about the whole LOLER requirements

As promised some referance to back up what i have said so far hope it helps as this seems to be becoming LOLER according to kev, just whant to stress loler is so much moor than just kit inspection

1. Does brand new equipment require a LOLER inspection?

regulation 9 part 1 para a & b basically if new and got cert conform less than 12 moths old on it.

2. Will A NPTC LOLER inspection course train you to be fully competent and at a standard that LOLER will recognise in checking all arb equipment?

ACOPL113 para 294 295

3. When using subby's do I have to check that they have 6 monthly LOLER inspections?

PUWER dont have referance to hand sorry, HSWA previously quoted, Trad union reform and employment rights act 1993 LOLER reg 3 part 3 a and 3b

4. When using subby's is there any other checks that I should carry out eg weekly kit inspections etc?

you need to ensure they are doing what they are ment to PUWER genneral principals part 1

5. If I use a subby who hasnt/doesnt have his 6 monthly LOLER inspection on his kit has an accident that is NOT related to kit failure will I still be liable and will my EL insurance be void/invalid?

see erlier answer, although interestingly one test of a self employed 'subbie' as far as the tax man i concerned is that the y carry there own insurance, remember insurance will not cover you for a criminal procicution whatever, only civil claim the thing that is more likley to make insurance null and void is false declarations

Thats about all I can think of atm but if anyone can shed some light than I would be very greatfull :thumbup1:

Or if anyone has any other better or more important (relevant) questions then please ask also.

there you go loler according to kev, bit sad really ask another

I would record the piece of equipment with cert of conformity and when first put into use.

When you employ a subbie, they are directly responsible for their kit unless you give them yours. I would find out if their gear is certified. If their kit isnt loler tested dont use em and make sure their insured. Its your name at the end of the day.

As for no-ones adding to the thread. Guess its due to the early comment. fact is I thought this was a discussion site where views are exchanged.

Ps. Im a loler inspector