Are there any decent aftermarket Stihl 026 cylinders?

Adamam

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wont the original clean up? or has it gone completely? If your handy with a bit of acid and emery cloth ive a shelf full of 260 / 026 cylinders that just need a bit of work.

This one is pretty knackered on the exhaust side. The rest is good though.

Does it look cleanable?

I've never cleaned up a wrecked cylinder, is it super-challenging? Also, I've never managed to track-down a source of acid to clean them with. Those in the know always seem super-reluctant to divulge the source of their aluminium remover...

:confused1:

cyl.jpg

It's tricky to tell but if there arn't any deep scores through the plating of the cylinder to the aluminium below then you may be lucky!

I'd give it a go and see how it turns out, use the acid to remove the transfer then some fine wet and dry to smooth it out. You want to get it as smooth as possible (but without damaging the plating), a good test is passing your fingernail over the affected area when you've finished cleaning, if you can feel any rough areas the piston rings could snag on them so more cleaning is needed!

Hope this helps!

Wear safety specs when using acid or alkaline, and also wear gloves, the stuff is pretty corrosive. Wash the reside off and smooth with fine emery paper. Any deep scores and it is scrap but lighter ones and you may get away with it.

Any transfer will kill the ring very quickly so clean and smooth is good.

I got a meteor ( good quality ) cylinder and piston from Germany for my old 066 a while back , guy had loads of Stihl models , try ebay Europe , it's been excellent .

TS

I looked for meteor, but I think only pistons are available. Aftermarket cylinders look like a complete lottery!