Granberg Bar

nantmoel

I mill wood with a friend and after taking his advise I finally purchase 3 (404 pitch) chains from Rob D. He was so helpful I cannot thank him enough. However after trying to fit the chains onto the saw (Husqvarna 3120), they just will not run in the bar.

The bar is a 'Granberg 44" .63, so the chain I purchased was a .63 pitch 404", can anyone shine a light on why this will not run in the bar, he chained the sprocket from the 3/8 to the 404.

Any advice on this would help.

Thanks

Brian

When you say 'will not run' what do you mean exactly?

Is it that the chain won't fit into the bar groove, and is the bar new?

If it is that the chain won't go in the groove, try taking a single drive link of the chain in one hand and bending the rest of the chain back on itself, out of the way, then running the single link all the way around the bar. This will establish whether there are pinched points. If one link won't go in, try it with another just to be sure.

If it's pinch points, inspect the rails carefully (if the bar is not new). You're looking to see if it has worn down the bar causing a slight lip, particularly on the inside. This can happen if the bar has simultaneously worn and splayed slightly.

Alec

When you say 'will not run' what do you mean exactly?

Is it that the chain won't fit into the bar groove, and is the bar new?

If it is that the chain won't go in the groove, try taking a single drive link of the chain in one hand and bending the rest of the chain back on itself, out of the way, then running the single link all the way around the bar. This will establish whether there are pinched points. If one link won't go in, try it with another just to be sure.

If it's pinch points, inspect the rails carefully (if the bar is not new). You're looking to see if it has worn down the bar causing a slight lip, particularly on the inside. This can happen if the bar has simultaneously worn and splayed slightly.

Alec

Alec

The chain will not run around the bar - I will try the advice you have given to see if there any pinch points.

Brian

Copy of e-mail.

Hi Brian, that is a bit of a tester... there’s really only x2 things that could cause this. Or actually maybe x3 things.

First the bar is .058 and not .063 – but if this is written on there then very unlikely.

Second – as Alec had pointed out there are pinch points on the bar.

Third – similar to above – is it an older bar that someone has tried to pinch the rails up? I.e. on older bars you can extend their life by pinch the rails together so that there is less chain slop... overdoing this would cause this problem.

Have you got the old 3/8 chain to hand? If so just ID this using the numbers here to make sure this was a .063 guage Chain ID table

Rob

• 1 month later...