Chipper tracker advise

JN Tree Care

Just about to pick up my new chipper on friday and I'm after a tracker for it ! Any recommendations ? Thanks

Depends on how much you want to spend, a monitored unit with an immobiliser will cost over 500 quid and an annual subscription. A cheap stand alone one will cost less than 100 and a top up every month or so. I have had two cheap types play up in one way or another ( and use up all their credit "phoning home" before I could do anything about it) and none of them work if parked out of reception.

Who has recoverd a stolen chipper as a result of a tracker - ???

What type was it ? Please tell us about the incident.

Who has failed to recover a chipper with a tracker system????

If people who fall into the above categories all respond we will have some REAL idea.

People who sell stuff can, occasionally, only tell you about the good bits and accidentally forget the shortcomings - just my paranoid thoughts.

• Like 1

We had two tracked Jensen stolen near tring a few years ago. They had the trackers that have a mobile sim. One of them was doing 125mph up the west coast as the thief who took them found them straight away and took them out and placed them in cheap pay as you go phones... So we're a waist of time....

Depends on your outlook, I agree you will never stop the pros but how many thefts are from pros & how many are for a quick few quid. All you can do is hinder the thiefs & this helps, ours will notify you if it is disconnected & also has vibration sensor so if your not to far from your machine you have a chance, i guess if you are some distance away you can only notify the police.

A tow hitch helps as does a wheel clamp etc but how many bother until the horse has bolted, I bet there are a few on here that wish they had done more now. Our own machines are tracked with remote shutdown & hours monitored & a discount on our insurance premium.

Who has recoverd a stolen chipper as a result of a tracker - ???

I do know of a chipper stolen in South London a few years ago and recovered from a lockup in New Cross within hours thanks to the tracker. And Surrey Police had a big find near Reigate three or so years ago: traced a tracker to a yard that turned out to be an Aladdin's cave of nicked plant.

Obviously every stolen machine with a tracker won't be recovered but the ones above wouldn't have been either.

Insurance companies will like them fitted and I'd guess that arguing about payouts would be harder if you had a tracker in your stolen machine as it would be evidence of your anti-theft precautions.