Guitars . Show em !

Stubby

9 minutes ago, Stubby said:

I have a LP . Mine is sorta Tobacco burst . I find the Gibson necks a bit wide for my puddies .  Got a early ES 175 with Gibson embossed " T " top PAT pending PUPS The neck on that is almost classical . Steve How has fingers with 8 joints that can press a million foot pounds ! 😁 Oh , I am 70 next birthday .

All the best for your future birthday celebrations that's a good number not quite there yet but not far behind, your Tobacco burst sound sweet, Les Paul's are my bag have been with them since 77 everyone to there own and all that, what year is yours/ mine is a wine red but in the picture it looks like a black beauty fantastic patination 93 vintage

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stubby said:

I am a shit guitarist . Been learning since  my Dad bought me my first guitar when I was 11 , 59 years ago !  I am more of a collector now . Investments for my kids when I kark it 🙂

I call myself a £200 guitarist....all my guitars have been acquired for £200 or less but don't play like the price tag. Taking a guitar with a bad action and losing the high frets, crowning them, rounding the fret ends etc is part of the game.

Latest acquisition was a Zoom G3X foot pedal, the drum machine, Looper and patches have been great fun, makes even my attempts sound almost good! Great bit of kit! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stubby said:

I am a shit guitarist

I consider myself similar and also suffer from finger envy but I've got a good practice regime and pick up a guitar most days..  as long as you enjoy it is the main thing and practice will always let you see improvements..

and then there's YouTube, young folk today have no idea just how spoilt they are to have just about any song broken down by an expert player for them to copy... where might we be today if we'd had that in 1969😅👍

• Like 2

3 hours ago, spudulike said:

I call myself a £200 guitarist....all my guitars have been acquired for £200 or less but don't play like the price tag. Taking a guitar with a bad action and losing the high frets, crowning them, rounding the fret ends etc is part of the game.

Latest acquisition was a Zoom G3X foot pedal, the drum machine, Looper and patches have been great fun, makes even my attempts sound almost good! Great bit of kit! 

I know from reading your posts that you take pride in the precision of your work so it's no surprise that you can transfer these skills to dialling in fine settings on guitars, something the I also get a lot of satisfaction from.

Anyway I wonder if you know of Ted Woodford, a Canadian luthier who puts out a weekly episode featuring an interesting repair or set up to a guitar that's come through his door.

He's kind of the Bob Ross of guitar repair as his vids are so educational and have frankly become the highlight of my Sunday night, this weeks is a Tele set up so @stubby will like it too 😁 I liked the ' mother of toilet seat ' pickguard comment.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ian Leach said:

Been looking at starting to learn how to play, what would people recommend.  Was thinking bass. I'm also a lefty .  Any tips.

Bass would be a good start as only four strings! /buy a decent Guitar and amp from the start one that you like the feel and sound of / enjoy what you like playing and find your own sound/ Jam with someone who is mustard at playing as this will up your game and don't expect to be the Jimi Hendrix of Bass or Guitar within two weeks! and lastly you don't get worse by practicing hope this helps

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Macpherson said:

I know from reading your posts that you take pride in the precision of your work so it's no surprise that you can transfer these skills to dialling in fine settings on guitars, something the I also get a lot of satisfaction from.

Anyway I wonder if you know of Ted Woodford, a Canadian luthier who puts out a weekly episode featuring an interesting repair or set up to a guitar that's come through his door.

He's kind of the Bob Ross of guitar repair as his vids are so educational and have frankly become the highlight of my Sunday night, this weeks is a Tele set up so @stubby will like it too 😁 I liked the ' mother of toilet seat ' pickguard comment.

Interesting stuff, I have come across the string tree issue before and you learn an awful lot just doing and then find out others are making vids but each one gives you a bit more info. I saw one vid of a fella stripping everything off a Les Paul, including the beading, neck (set in) and neck capping.....he was obviously more talented than anything I have done. Lots of heat and then...bingo...amazing.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ian Leach said:

Been looking at starting to learn how to play, what would people recommend.  Was thinking bass. I'm also a lefty .  Any tips.

The only thing with Bass is that you don't get the satisfaction of saying to your mates...listen to this and them recognizing the riff unless it is really recognizable...Dancing in the Moonlight for example or Cant Stand Losing You!

If you have fat fingers then it would be a good choice, I am always hindered by this but I tweak the guitar nut to give me an extra mm and buy guitars with slightly wider neck which solves much of the problem.

This guitar effects unit I have allows you to play Bass on your guitar....The first four strings on a guitar are tuned the same and I have a patch allowing a really convincing Bass sound from a guitar which is good for learning riffs and producing a bass line for a loop.

As far as kit - I would avoid spending a fortune but do get reasonable kit not super cheap crap and get it either tested by a decent player or get it set up by a Luthier or someone that knows his onions - probably the best £75 you will spend!

Plenty of vids and news of even top guitarists using relatively cheap guitars - Mike Rutherford was playing Squire Bullets during the Pandemic.....you can get "Cheap" playing like expensive relatively easily!

A simple drum machine keeps you in time which is also something that can be an interesting concept when starting out! Just set the BPM slow if you can't keep up and learn the technique.

Loads of vids on Youtube.....missed all that in the 80s when I was trying to learn!

Edited by spudulike
  • Like 1