Husqvarna 136 bar oiling problem

pycoed

Just had a problem with lack of bar oil to my Husky 136. Found that oil pump plastic gear gear had stripped, so cleaned out oil tank with diesel & renewed the oil pump. Still no bar oil , so dismantled it all again & this time took out the oil pickup & filter (spring type) Blew through all with airline cleaned everything again & reassembled. Rubber seals on pickup & oil pump cylinder are fine, pump shaft can be seen turning & will pop out oil if filled from an oilcan.

Still no oil coming through.

I'm thinking it has to be the oil tank vent? But where IS the vent?

I can't find it on any parts diagrams online, if I can find it I can probably clean it or at worst make a new one (I have lathe & milling machine etc.)

Any ideas?

Son refuses to use my "real"saw (Homelite Super XL12 - not a hiccough apart from a bar & a few chains since bought in 1978) due to lack of chainbrake, noise & vibration (wimp!). :001_rolleyes: However, I need his help to get in next couple of years firewood supplies from our top hedges - it's all manual extraction on a steep slope around 45 deg. & I'm too decrepit these days to do it all myself.:thumbdown:

Dodgy oilers were quite common on 136. If the pump housing is black its the old style. The later opaque yellow'ish was much better.

Check the worm drive is ok before you replace pump piston.

Good luck

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

The oil tank breather appears to be some sort of tube coming from the bar side of the saw - I have done a few but can't remember the breather!

The IPL is here - http://www.h-machine.jp/part_list/husqvarna/136_141_2004.pdf

If the outlet and feed pipes are clear, the most probable causes of failure are the worm drive or the gear on the pump shaft. On very old machines, the pump sharf housing can wear and cause lack of pump action.

Check the breather out on this parts list and make sure it is clear - you could run the saw with the cap off and see if the oiler kicks in to life!

Ta for replies - bar hole is fine, worm gear on crank is fine, plastic gear on the new pump is also fine. New pump is a yellowish white colour: old one was black.

I'll have a look at the link posted & report back when/if I've fixed it.

Update:

Tank vent is fine - all rodded out & clear. Stumped now to be honest - the only thing I can think of is to renew the seal & the oil pick up either side of the pump. Part nos. 530019174

& 530014776,

though both seem OK to me - they are both soft & would seem to seal OK but... something's up: the pump is new & turning OK; the tank is clean & the vent is clear; I've tried different bar oil of straight veg. oil , straight diesel, atf, SAE 30 & 20W50 & still nothing much seems to reach the bar.

Another long shot .... Have you changed from .325 to 3/8 pitch chain at all ? if so the power mate wont engage with the oil pump drive . you need to change the plastic gear as well ... long shot with windage and drop off !

I've got a wee 240 which I am thinking is similar in design. I replaced the oil pump. Also I found that there was debris at the worm gear which had stripped the plastic gearing. Once cleared I put plenty of grease behind the plastic pump cover to stop anything else getting in. I think I got that tip from the techs on here. I warmed some oil up and filled up tank after cleaning the parts of the tank which you described and put compressed air through it as well. Works fine now. I also checked the bar for any blockages and alignment was OK.