Poplar wood

egs

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They make matches from poplar because it doesn't burn, it's the wax that burns leaving the support of the unburnt char. Similarly it was used for railway wagon floor because it doesn't dry out in the open and crushes without splintering.

Like most non dense woods when dry it ignites easily because it's a good insulator and the outside gets hot quickly without losing heat to its interior.

I think it starts out fresh felled at about 60% mc wwb but once it has lost most of its water it will occupy a lot of space for the amount of heat ( low bulk energy density).

I'm burning pallet boards atm and it's surprising how quickly they need restoking.

Ok I stand corrected . .......

Ok I stand corrected . .......

Crikey Stubby that makes me seem like a schoolmarm telling someone off, we're similar age and I'm just whiling away a damp Saturday avoiding going out to chop some logs ( or redundant chestnut paling in this case a lot of effort for not much yield but what else to do with it).

Hi folks ..

Cut down three big pops and split them about a month ago. Much to my supprise the wood was very light and not full of water ....

Well im abit short on timber so I checked the logs today and there finger light . They were stacked on pallets out side with a cover over the top and the sides exposed so the wind could get at them.

The question I ask is it oright to burn ???

Fantastic stuff dry. I use it as kindling.

Disagree with the " it doesn't burn" bit . Got some on my stove right now and I'm pretty sure its burning .

I was referring only to the match stick, poplar ( mostly canadian aspen) is chosen because it is strong for its weight, doesn't splinter and absorbs the wax. No wood will burn in ambient conditions on its own, once the offgas in the flame is used up the remaining charred stick doesn't burn out because it radiates its heat away to the point it is no longer hot enough for oxygen to dissociate on its surface. That's why sticks on an open fire need a bit of company to mutually radiate heat and keep themselves hot.

Crikey Stubby that makes me seem like a schoolmarm telling someone off, we're similar age and I'm just whiling away a damp Saturday avoiding going out to chop some logs ( or redundant chestnut paling in this case a lot of effort for not much yield but what else to do with it).

Theres no fight left in me bud !! Have got some pop burning on my stove at the mo , can't think how its burning though ...:sneaky2::biggrin:

I was referring only to the match stick, poplar ( mostly canadian aspen) is chosen because it is strong for its weight, doesn't splinter and absorbs the wax. No wood will burn in ambient conditions on its own, once the offgas in the flame is used up the remaining charred stick doesn't burn out because it radiates its heat away to the point it is no longer hot enough for oxygen to dissociate on its surface. That's why sticks on an open fire need a bit of company to mutually radiate heat and keep themselves hot.

Understood . Have noticed that you need more than 3 sticks on a fire though :001_smile: