Decending limbs and blocks without a ground hand

jgreene33

this is a pointless conversation, you should NOT be operating without a ground hand alert to your position at all times.

Tony, settle down, this is a problem solving thread more than anything else. Sometimes when climbing the groundie is busy, get over it, it happens to you just like it happens to me.

So in that situation, your groundie is busy dragging a lot to the chipper and you want to lower something out quickly while he is busy.

Thats the problem, is there a solution, I know there is, but do you ?

Discuss.

And bud, if people want to climb by themselves, its their perogative, there is no law that says solo climbing is illegal is there ? Its noty the greatest idea IMO, but people do risky things, more risky than climbing a tree every day without even thinking about it.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tony, settle down, this is a problem solving thread more than anything else. Sometimes when climbing the groundie is busy, get over it, it happens to you just like it happens to me.

So in that situation, your groundie is busy dragging a lot to the chipper and you want to lower something out quickly while he is busy.

Discuss.

And bud, if people want to climb by themselves, its their perogative, there is no law that says solo climbing is illegal is there ? Its noty the greatest idea IMO, but people do risky things, more risky than climbing a tree every day without even thinking about it.

well there is here in the UK:001_tt2:

Discuss.

Fair enough, carry on, but no it doesnt happen to me, it REALLY doesnt, because I wont put myself in such a situation.

free climbing in your own time is different to working situations, no arguments. While it may not be Illegal, if anything was to go wrong, god forbid, you would have to come up with a better argument to the investigator than "it aint illegal guvnor"

I've lowered alot from the tree using the tail of my climbing line. Nothing that big. You can cut a stump in the tree, tie your tail to section to be lowered, then put several wraps around the stump. Make cut and your branch hangs, take off wraps and you can make controlled lower as the climber. I find its ideal if you've only got a couple of small bits to lower, saves setting up a rigging line.

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry if this has already been discussed but, I'm exploring some techniques that I know little about. Was hoping for some advice. Is there a technique for the climber to decend a branch or block without a ground hand? If so how would that scenario differ for a man on gaffs vs. a man climbing a rope vs. a man in a bucket. If this is completely unconventional go easy on me im just trying to explore new possibilities.

Thanks in advance!

Johan Greene

Bristol virginia Tree Removal bristol virginia tree service

Haven't been climbing all that long so sorry if this isn't an industry recognised technique!

I have lowered quite a few bits myself by installing a rigging line quite high, through a pinto or similar, attach the top end to limb to be lowered, then tie a directional slip knot on the opposite side of the pinto, make cut/s branch swings down, then move into a comfy position, sharp tug on lower end of the rope releases the knot and lower safely. Guess you could use a fig 8 if it was a heavy ish lump, but I think anything too heavy would make the slip knot tighten right up.

Also sometimes I will cut a limb, then whilst grounder is lowering/untying I move onto the next limb to be removed, attach a sling, then attach the other end of the sling to something substantial, make cuts , then just hook it on the lowering line as hopefully groundie is ready by then!

I'm sure someone will tell point out why these are bad techniques :embarrassed: but it works!

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App