Wet wood

conkers

Like so many others in the area, I am now out of sellable logs!

Used to have no problem stacking the wood in the open in a large pile. Split them and then sell on after one year. This year the whole pile is as wet as when it was cut.

Tarps don't work as the wood cannot breathe. We cannot leave sides open because the rain frequently comes down at all angles.

So need to invest in a barn or give it up. Anyone else had this delemma?

:mad1:

all the wood that we have fell this winter, it not covered at the moment, we will leave it drying without cover, untill the end of summer when it will all be tarped over so the worst of the rain stays off and it continues to dry, thats how we have always done it, works really well.

Am lucky to have a friendly farmer as a landlord. He had two 20ft containers he used for his logs . We moved one 12ft over . fixed a tin roof over :001_cool:and created a Log Store. Great, drying area, stacked the logs, keep them dry and let the wind blow through. Am now looking at 1 m cube steel frames that used to hold a water box inside.

They come on a pallet and can be filled with logs then stacked on top of each other.

Got the same problem Conkers. This year tried bagging in mesh bulk bags on pallets, stacked 2 high with plenty of room between. The tarps have been shredded this winter and the bottom windward bags are still wet but the rest are getting there. Might be worth trying the heavier wagon weight tarp before lashing out on a barn / poly tunnel?

when i lived in Norway we use to pack firewood in nets on Euro pallets using a steel frame that fitted over the pallet and stretched the net open. It was a realy good system for storing and drying firewood the pallet alows air to pass under the wood so it drys from all sides

To keep it dry we stacked them 3 high in a square of nine palletswith air space in between in a clearing in the wood next to the farm. Then we over layed corrigated roffing tin on top to keep the rain off and then we droped some big logs on top to stop the tins blowing off. Becuase it was in a clearing the wind did not blow rain in from the side because it was quite sheltered.

The system work well over thier however the stacks were covered in snow for 6 months of the year so i dont know how well it would work well over heer.

Oh and the Scottish Paintball Centre has a whole load of those IBC frames dumped in the dyke back that they removed from the big square tanks. they use the tanks as baricades

Edited by haggismuncher1984
typo

Check out this earlier thread, we had discussed the Norwegian methods.

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=5642

Where in Norway did you live, and where are you in Kilmarnock?

Any more details on these IBC cages?

lol yeah that picture that you posted in the thread is basicaly exactly the system that we used and i was trying to describe

I lived between on a farm in a village called Singsås neer Støren maby about 50km from Trondheim I realy miss it out thier

I now live on a farm neer craigie hill quarry Kilmarnock

i will let you know about the IBC cages my mate is manager of the paintball center

when i lived in Norway we use to pack firewood in nets on Euro pallets using a steel frame that fitted over the pallet and stretched the net open. It was a realy good system for storing and drying firewood the pallet alows air to pass under the wood so it drys from all sides

To keep it dry we stacked them 3 high in a square of nine palletswith air space in between in a clearing in the wood next to the farm. Then we over layed corrigated roffing tin on top to keep the rain off and then we droped some big logs on top to stop the tins blowing off. Becuase it was in a clearing the wind did not blow rain in from the side because it was quite sheltered.

The system work well over thier however the stacks were covered in snow for 6 months of the year so i dont know how well it would work well over heer.

Oh and the Scottish Paintball Centre has a whole load of those IBC frames dumped in the dyke back that they removed from the big square tanks. they use the tanks as baricades

Something like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2WzrsFKuGk&eurl=http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=5642&page=2

Do you know where these nets can be sourced?