Bowed Tree

aquatoo

hi bud, what i would do is take some loops up and girth hitch them to make leg loops on the lean part(spaced every 5-6ft or so)to make work position more comfortable on the way down,then make my way to the top, tie in and drop the branches in safe size's.

then whats left of the top(usually a funny shaped knuckel of a log)knock out in say a 4ft lenth and continue logging.

the leg loops are mainly because you can get a good sidewards position for cutting any "gobs,cheese's,wedge's" co's it's usually quite hard from the back of the trunk .

i would also anchor my strop to the harness bridge with a loose backup on the side d's and as always a climbing line setup attached to my harness.

take a vid-cam to either show people what you did or to remember how the subbie did it.

When I get down there in May I'll take some pictures and see if I can get a local climber in to have a look.

Thanks for a reasoned answer to my original question. A lot nicer than smug sarcasm!

The top is inclined below the horizontal so working up the trunk to that would need a tightrope walker.

It would be possible to climb a line to the canopy and drop it off but I think it would be too dangerous to contemplate as it is difficult to assess how much grip the tree has in the ground and the amount of leverage the climber and gear would exert on it.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok bud,only three answers then...first is an anchor point tree not more than a few yds away to climb off,second is a crane ,but thats cost, then thirdly brute force ,a pulling line,a tractor and a thick hinge at ground level and a good escape route(just incase there's another way to drop it other than over the fence).

but if you do go halfway up and cut it then i suppose go with a cut your familiar with if it responds like corsican or redwood then i'd prob go for a standard hinge but if it tends to hang on abit then you could do anti tear cut's or take the heart out. if it shakes you dont worry as long as the tops away from you thats all that matters, keep looking at it...you'll figure somthing out.

If it's 20m tall and could fall across a lane, surely you could get a mewp to it without having to go into the wood...?

Only the top would land in the lane. It would be across a deep ditch, up a steep bank and then through the trees and undergrowth.

Ahhh, just go for it then, what could possibly go wrong?

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

That there is funny no matter who you are:) In all seriousness I am glad Aquato is smart enough to take the advice of hiring a climber. Here in the states where I am located there are many pines 20-30m. Very few branches until the top 5m or so. This takes the proper training and the right equipment like others have said here. Post a vid when hire your climber.

• 7 months later...

Well, when I was back in France earlier this month I downed a whole grove of Maritime Pines including the one that was bowed over.

I had intended to spike up it with a line into a nearby tree so that if I fell around it I'd be able to lower myself back to the ground by releasing the flipline and then climb back up again. I didn't think that if I slid around it I would be able to get back on top again.

Problem was that I couldn't throw a bag up high enough to get it into the nearby tree. Maritime pines have a canopy right at the top but no branches down the stem, and I don't have a big shot.

Looked at it quite a bit while I was felling and cutting up the others and then got what I though was a bright idea. About 10m away was another large pine that leaned gently towards the bent one. I gobbed the bent one on the side facing away, made the back cut to where I judged it might get pushed over and then felled the other one onto it. It didn't quite push it over so I had to cut the backcut in the bowed tree a little more and then watched as the two went down in the required location.

Total success and a lot safer than climbing it.

sounds a bit dogy to me!, still all down and safe.

( could you not have just pulled the bent one over with a rope and winch on its own??

carl

No, It leaned over far too far.

I was just lucky that there was another I could drop onto it. If it had gone wrong I would have had to repair the fence. There was plenty of room and by the time it went down I was well out of the way.