Lifespan of a Saw and Workshops in Cornwall

Devonseano

Hiya,

A couple of questions to throw in the mix:

What would you expect the working life of a chainsaw to be before it needed scrapping or a major overhaul? It's a bit of a piece of string question so a few more details:

A pro level saw (in the Stihl world 240/260 upwards)

If it had daily use in the working week

If it had been maintained with no particular abuse/cock ups

Also, can anyone recommend a good repair/tuning workshop in Cornwall?

Cheers all,

Devonseano.

I have destroyed a couple of 260 026's in a day they are junk!! no seriously Keeping it sharp and knowing how to sharpen... Reduces stress on the engine the mounts and creates less fine dust as you are actually getting chips instead of powder that gets through filters and in too carbs and increases bore wear...and just generally coat the saw in a fine mess causing overheating and other problems.

It amazes me how many so called pros can't actually sharpen a saw..I think this has a big effect on engine life.

I have a 6 year old 357 I have used daily its been crushed and is still on the button its still has original piston , carb mainly thanks to spud though!! Personally if you need any thing doing I would send him your saw.... He could tweak it a bit as well ;-)

Maths:

Say you use 3 saws, daily.

They'll have cost a little over £700 each.

Total cost of three saws, £2200.

At two years old, they'll be worth at least half as much, so £1100.

You don't want to work too hard so you use them for 175 days a year, slightly less than every other day.

So 2200 outlay

Minus 1100 resale value

=1100 cost over two years.

Two years is 350 working days.

1100/350= £3.14

So each saw cost you just over a pound per day of use, using very low resale values.

Count on two years, every day longer is nice.

One of my customers runs a 1999 Husky 371, hes had is since new and gets about 15 / 20 hours a week use. Only ever had filters and plugs changed at service. His 2005 Stihl MS260 on the other hand is a bit like Triggers brush.

Truro Tractors at Chacewater, speak to Les. They can be a bit slow with repairs, but do a good job. Also there was a place near Laddock, high cross?? cant remember the name now, but they were good- but that was 10+ years ago since i went there. Where in Truro are you? I'm a Threemilestone boy, then francis street for a year or two.