Crew's

Gray

just thought it worth a mention,been subbing for about 7 or 8 yrs now, climbing for 16.

in that time i've worked for all sorts and.., well, you can't beat a well sorted crew, i meen it just makes the day go realy well ,every one grafts ,good sence of teamwork, good gear to use ,saftey,good banter and a nice cuppa when you need it and most importantly a few early finishes to compensate the mostly late ones you do.

it's ok being a balls out nutter climber but without a good crew it just feels well, "cack" . (just to clarify though most either don't have the funds or training/experience or good enthusiastic staff).

i'm always chilled and i've never had "climber rage" and i don't like putting people down infact i suppose it's better to laugh when the lowering rope you are passed up is blue lorry rope or twenty yr old three strand, and then to watch them looking like they're straining for a **** gripping the rope for all they'er worth incase the 20kg branch is going to launch them up the tree,

or when they can't remember the marlin spike you showed them 10 times so they just put a knot which go's through the saw handle across the exhaust and for good measure around the chain.

but i realy do get cheesed off when the jobs not finished because there were about 3 lunch breaks of about 45 mins each ,trip to the cafe ,no app's for chipping on the mobile phones or bad logistics.you can't help feeling like he thought you were just gonna go bish,bash,bosh and magic happens while they have a fag and presto it's done.

there's a lot of brain work in climbing as it is ,so a good crew makes a very happy climber and a job well done.

i meen the best thing for me is a happy boss co's it's all done and he's been paid,and the guy's get home at a good time and you know it's been good teamwork, so if you're reading this and you don't know what a pulley block,porta wrap,hobs,3in1,50mtr yale,emergency kit, chain file or proper ppe is,don't despair training is out there(get it and you'l earn loads),

but please don't ask me to work as i feel a cold comin' on.

to all (you know who you are)"great crews" especialy the ones i've worked for/work with , thank's guy's ,i only do this job co's i like it and you make me like it.

Some words of wisdom! I find that you have to get on with who you are working with, at the end of the day you spend more time with your workmates than your other half! Im only a groundie but I completly agree with waht you are saying. Up untill reciently I was subbing to a local firm, just me and the climber on the jobs, he was very condecending and rude. He always used to bash on about how good other groundies were that he had worked with in the past........in the end I had enough and quit, just like the other groundies he was going on about! I accept im new to this game as ive only been doing it a year but we all gotta start somewhere and life is too short to dread going to work or biting your tongue all the time for a quiet life!

Some words of wisdom! I find that you have to get on with who you are working with, at the end of the day you spend more time with your workmates than your other half! Im only a groundie but I completly agree with waht you are saying. Up untill reciently I was subbing to a local firm, just me and the climber on the jobs, he was very condecending and rude. He always used to bash on about how good other groundies were that he had worked with in the past........in the end I had enough and quit, just like the other groundies he was going on about! I accept im new to this game as ive only been doing it a year but we all gotta start somewhere and life is too short to dread going to work or biting your tongue all the time for a quiet life!

Yup. Ive stopped working for a few people like this. You dont need the stress or crap :thumbup1:

I agree condescending and rude attitudes are an unpleasant atmosphere. Maybe, just maybe the guy had a point.

You are new to the industry, why not not just suck it up and get on with it. Learn as much as you can and be one the better groundie. The climber probably learned the hard way so why should anyo e else get an easy ride.

On the other hand, he may have been a Pratt! I have worked with climbers who cream off half the tree in 2 cuts and then the single groundie takes 20 mins to sort the crap out and the climber gets frustrated. It is ok to do that if you have 4 groundies but a climber has to be smart and keep the job running and to max efficiency. Less groundies, cut friendlier sized bits to keep the job flowing.

Edit: forgot quote, the response was to BigT

Cheers Swinny, ure not wrong there!

Rich, the guy in question was the boss`s brother in law......im sure he wouldnt still be working for them if he wasnt! I thought it might be me so I said something to the boss, he agreed and said that he used to work with him but after 6 months he couldnt do it anymore either! Aparently they go through groundies at an alarming rate! Im open to criticism, that how we learn and get better but enough was enough!

Amen to that. Too many old school ex climbers with big ideas but no respect for the crew or equipment/ lack of equipment

Ill second that, Learning it the hard hard way.....

"No! My poison hivy can't be used as rigging rope if need be!"

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App